Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Mark February 2020
  • ron February 2020
  • Sven February 2020
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Minimum Long Term CG?

If I wanted to take long term capital gains on a stock, what percent would that be and what is the lowest amount it could be based on? Thank you.

Comments

• "Long-term capital gains tax is a tax on profits from the sale of an asset held for more than a year. The long-term capital gains tax rate is 0%, 15% or 20% depending on your taxable income and filing status. They are generally lower than short-term capital gains tax rates."

2019-2020 Capital Gains Tax Rates — and How to Avoid a Big Bill
  • For most folks who income is fall between $78,751 to $488,850 and filed jointly, LT cap gain is taxed at 15%. Article above provides more details depending on your tax bracket.
  • Thank you, hope I can keep my income low enough, but not below 78,751, so I'll just hold off on selling and leave it for my heirs as I'm 86 now.