Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Social Media Moderators Required To Sign PTSD Disclosure Forms

edited January 2020 in Off-Topic
(Pertaining to YouTube & Facebook employees)

“"I understand the content I will be reviewing may be disturbing. It is possible that reviewing such content may impact my mental health, and it could even lead to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)," the statement read.”
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51245616

That bad?

Comments

• I grew up Irish and Catholic. That must surely count.
  • I read the requirement-to-sign as an anticipatory first step of a hold harmless defense on part of the corporation. "Complainant knew or should have known ..." (However, I am not a legal scholar, just predisposed to be skeptical about things employees are required to sign.)
  • edited January 2020
    Apologies for a nonsensical story & link. Things sometimes look better late at night than next morning (and I miss Ted’s positive influence).

Nonetheless - glad some found value in the story. My quick take is these companies are doing a bit of a disservice to those who actually served their country under wartime conditions and must suffer the real PTSD consequences.

There’s also, perhaps, a message here as to how sharply the advent of “social media” (somewhat of an oxymoron) has altered our social / political landscape - not for the better I fear.
  • Too late for Zuckerberg, everyone already knows he's crazy along with bought.
  • I had 16 years of Catholic Education which is an experience itself !