Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FMIJX: magical numbers from Morningstar?

According to Morningstar's total return chart for FMIJX, as of 12/31/2019 the fund's 2019 total return was minus 9.46 and the Year to Date return was 17.07. How is this possible? Yesterday was December 31st. Today is Jan 1st, a holiday. How could a fund’s return rise by 26.53% literally overnight? Either there has been an error in the numbers or I am missing something. I have sent a message to Morningstar asking the same question.

Comments

• Either the columns were briefly mislabeled or you misread them. They currently show a 2018 return of minus 9.46% and a YTD (as of 12/31/2019) of 17.07%.

As of 12/31/19, the year was 2019, so the YTD return was the return for 2019.

According to the FMIJX prospectus, the 2018 return was minus 9.46%.
    According to FMI's Current Performance page, the 2019 return was 17.07%.
  • Agree with msf.
    From my looking about at M*, most mutual funds retain 2019 and prior year numbers properly as of Jan. 1. ETF's returns have already rotated numbers (apparently at midnight) and show 0% for YTD (being 2020 reference).
  • Agree with both msf and catch22,

2018 (9.46%) YTD
    2019 17.07% YTD*

* (YTD Fund as of Dec 31, 2019)
    |
  • Thanks all. As sometimes happens I was "missing something". Happy New Year.
  • This may be related: I noticed that the "2018 Return" column on one of my M* custom views auto-magically rolled over to "2019 Return" this morning, Jan 1. (I use 2018 returns for a quick comparison of how funds fared during a recent down year.)
  • "Auto-magically". I like that. :-)
  • I don't think they have updated the database for bonds. My Portfolio Manager still shows 2019 TRs for my bond funds.