Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: 3 Ideas For Contrarians

FYI: Stan Lee, legendary creator of countless Marvel comic book superheroes, didn't follow the crowd. He was unconventional. Unlike other comic book heroes, Lee's protagonists--Spiderman, Iron Man, and the Incredible Hulk, among them--had flaws. Lee's heroes overcame their flaws to do great things.

When it comes to investing, few of us are like Stan Lee. It's tough to go against the crowd when your money's on the line. Herding--or following said crowd--is much easier to do. Buying what others aren't, or when others aren't, takes a special constitution: the constitution of a contrarian.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/900729/3-ideas-for-contrarians

Comments

• edited November 2019
    As a child, I liked imaginary superheroes. Then I grew up and started to like real heroes instead. This fixation on superheroes today by grownups is getting tedious and is a sign if you ask me of an enfeebled culture desperate for imaginary saviors. It's especially funny to employ that superhero metaphor in the corporate world as the companies that currently dominate us, track our every move and control our lives I think are the reason so many feel enfeebled. Perhaps one of these little guys in the article will overcome great odds, rescue his Aunt May and defeat Amazon Man all the while realizing that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!
  • @Lewis: I think you need to cut down on your coffee intake !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • I started to nibble on Grandeur Peaks contrarian fund last month. I'll have to wait & see how this turns out as it's very new.
    Good investing to All, Derf
  • Agree @Lewis

As a child, I liked imaginary superheroes. Then I grew up and started to like real ones instead. This fixation on superheroes today by grownups is getting tedious and is a sign if you ask me of an enfeebled culture desperate for imaginary saviors. It's especially funny to employ that superhero metaphor in the corporate world as the companies that currently dominate us, track our every move and control our lives I think are the reason so many feel enfeebled. Perhaps one of these little guys in the article will overcome great odds, rescue his Aunt May and defeat Amazon Man all the while realizing that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!