Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anemic

edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
Dow is up, but just +25 at the moment today, after a big slide, last few. Russell 2000 is up 3.33. But watch the selling into the end of the day. Most of my Large-caps are in Asia; small-caps, domestic. But my small-caps are just 2.22% of total portfolio. This Market is going nowhere in a big hurry. Assuming there will be enough voters in November NOT to allow the 1% elite to screw the rest of us, Obama will be re-elected. But that's not much better, come to think of it. Being in the Market (whether mostly with equities or bonds or a combo) is the Only Game In Town. But the game SUCKS.

Comments

• I am increasing holdings in Asia a bit, but otherwise not doing much. I don't see positives if Obama is elected or Romney is selected, although I can envision an environment where the market may like Romney being elected more. As for the 1%, both possible candidates are clearly looking out for them, despite any statements otherwise.
  • If this were Facebook, I'd "Like" your comment, Scott.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock:

Dittoe. "As for the 1%, both possible candidates are clearly looking out for them, despite any statements otherwise", while suspect the 1% knows this, I wish the other 99% would too.
  • edited May 2012
    Reply to @Gandalf: Thank you both. I really don't want to get too political because that never leads anywhere on this board, but I just continue to find remarkable the belief that either side in Washington is looking out for the majority when much of the last decade or more has indicated otherwise - and again, from both political parties. The heated debate between both political side does nothing but distract the populace from the real underlying issues (while structural issues that get worse aren't addressed and both sides blame each other but do nothing about it.)

As for investments, I've increased exposure to Asia and emerging markets (much of that is consumer-related) in general and am pretty much staying put, although I am looking at taking a little flyer bet on of some of the commodity plays that have done terribly, such as Vale (which does have preference shares.) Obviously, I would not suggest those near retirement age take such risks. I do think, however, that natural resource funds have done pretty terribly over the last couple of years and those with a long-term view may (again, absolutely know your risk tolerance) want to take a look at *starting* a small position and averaging into some of these funds (buying what hasn't done well instead of what's done best) over time. On the flip side, I'd be completely understanding of those who don't want to take any risk here at all, as the near-to-mid term (if not farther) could see some serious problems in Europe and otherwise.

• And you surely know that I'm in on this too. Almost to the point of not caring who gets elected... won't make a lot of difference nohow.

Am going to try to get to Schwab this week and open an account / buy a bit of GASFX.
  • Old Joe: "Don't vote, it just ENCOURAGES them..."

Saw a thing lately on Facebook illustrating the voting American public as "sheeple" chomping down stuff from a trough labeled "LIES." ........Yup. That sums it up.

As for me, I can do no better than to ride out this downturn and then back up, surely it will happen in spurts and baby-steps, one step forward, one step back. I continue to re-invest quarterly and monthly dividends. My two biggest positions are still PREMX (38.87%) and MAPIX (30.14%). The only things not paying me something every few months is a zero-coupon bond which matures July 1, 2013, and also MSCFX.

The bond proceeds will come in handy. The hard-dollar amount brings me EXACTLY to my yearly deductible limit on the (Trad.) IRA side of things. I plan to simply re-deploy it in an IRA. Probably split between MSCFX (2.22% of holdings) & MAPOX. (2.11%.)