Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

August 2019 -- an amateur technician's observations.

Spending this afternoon looking at some long-term stock & equity-index charts. Just thought I'd jot down some impressions.. Just thought I'd memorialize some thoughts, for my own benefit as much as anyone else's...

Bonds (AGG) - At $112.xx, bonds appear to be at major L/T resistance, having reached this area in 2013, 2015 & 2017, only to then turn back down... Nothing prohibits a continued move up, but MAN, the YTD move has been a rocket. Nothing grows to the sky.

S&P index: Broke out past resistance in July, north of the mid-2900's. Then promptly fell back. (i.e. so far, could not hold the breakout). July is seasonally a strong equity month (and that is what we saw this year). Aug & Sept (& Oct), often give back a lot of points. Looking 'below the surface' of the index, here is how I interpret l/t charts of some of the larger stocks:

***For the optimists out there, I suppose you could replace the word "topping" with "consolidating prior gains, awaiting the next leg up".

CONSUMER DISCRETIONARY
AMZN 22% of XLY -- L/T topping? ***
HD 10% of HLY - L/T topping? ***
MCD 7.5% of HLY - No resistance, but PE 29. (while S&P categorizes MCD as 'discretionary', I view it as 'the poor man's kitchen' (i.e. a consumer staple).

COMMUNICATIONS
GOOG /-L 24% of XLC – L/T topping? ***
FB 19.5% of XLC - - L/T topping? ***

TECHNOLOGY
MSFT 20% of XLK - No resistance. But extended?
AAPL 16.5% of XLK - L/T topping? ***

FINANCE
BRK.B 12.2% of XLF - L/T topping? ***
JPM 11% of XLF - L/T topping? ***

INDUSTRIAL
BA 7.9% of XLI - L/T topping? ***
HON 5.5 of XLI - only possible s/t topping
UTX 4.7% OF xlI -L/T topping? ***

DJT -- L/T topping. 2019 highs are below 2018 highs.

In most cases, as I write this, the stocks are not at "the top" (i.e. all time highs), but they do appear to be range-bound, somewhere between their high, and what might be deemed "support", technically speaking. As CNBC technician Randall Carlson likes to say "topping is a PROCESS, not a (single-) price".

Disclosure: As time was limited, I didn't view the Utes, or Materials (each ~ 3% of the index), or Energy & Healhtcare -- each of those seems to mostly move to their own tune, rather than general economic conditions.

Meanwhile:

World equities-EX-US (IXUS): These peaked in January 2018, then nosedived through 2018. Then rebounded in 2019 to $60.xx but turned back down. $59-$60 seems to have become the new resistance level.

European markets, removing the FX effects (HEDJ) seems absolutely refusing to breach a line of resistance in $66-67 area. Its tried and failed 7 times in the past 5 years to do so, including in July... How healthy can ANY equity market be, if it supported by interest-rate suppression like what we see there...? The UK (EWU) appears to be at/near support -- presumably the market is being avoided as we approach Brexit. Might be persuaded to dab a toe in here..?

Japan (DXJ, hedged for FX) -- I always find it hard to "read" the Japanese market technically. I can only say that in mid-August 2019, it certainly cannot be said to be in a bullish uptrend..

China (FXI)... Strangely, FXI seems to be "at support" ~ $38.xx. -- Off about 28% from its recent (early 2018) highs.

India (INDA). Another market that I find hard to "read" --- volatility is often intense/sudden, both up and down. That said, with the exception of a "blow-off top" in January 2018, $35-36 seems like rather dogged resistance. I'd be surprised if it broke above it

Gold (IAU) - Could definitely use a rest (i.e. pullback) after recent sudden move up. But, what I see is:a) higher-lows since the late 2016 low, b) successful breach through the intermediate-term line of resistance at $13.xx price area, and from a fundamental standpoint, any significant currency dislocations (e.g. US, China, UK or Europe) OR geo-political conflict (Persian Gulf, or more acutely, Kashmir) could return IAU to the 2012-2013 resistance area (or beyond)...

TAKEAWAYS: Bonds look extremely stretched/overbought. Foreign markets have not overcome their January 2018 highs, despite an enormous "up move" in H1-2019. In many cases, major growth stocks in the S&P, seem to be slightly under lines of price resistance -- suggesting at least a modest move up toward resistance is in the realm of the possible. However, much of the market does appear to be in a trading range, suggesting any move up will not have "legs" and may well be turned back as prices move into their zones of resistance. Risk/reward doesn't strike me as particularly attractive.

Comments

• Thanks for this, @Edmond.
  • @Edmond: Nice work. Thanks!
  • edited August 2019
    @edmond: Nice work. I enjoyed reading your analysis. Please keep posting your thoughts. In converting Old_Skeet's market barometer to score AGG (bonds) this can be done; but, instead of using the earnings feed which I use for stocks I used a yield feed along with a breadth technical score measure (over a physical count measure) plus a technical score feed. With this, based upon these metrics, the barometer produced a reading of 125 indicating that bonds are extremely overbought.

In comparison, based upon the last barometer reading for the S&P 500 Index, stocks came in with a reading of 157 indicating that they were under valued.
  • @edmond thanks so much for posting. very informative. I don't understand technicals so having you explain it is valuable.