Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In the Search for Safe Assets, Investors Detour Around Gold

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/business/safe-invest-rally-gold.html

In the Search for Safe Assets, Investors Detour Around Gold

Everywhere, it seems, the world has been steeped in turbulence and strife, and that might seem to be the perfect setting for a major rally in gold, long considered an investment haven.

Comments

• Once again, gold looks like it might start a new uptrend and be hot again (according to a number of technical analysis I read). So I've put a little money into gold recently. But it seems like every time I buy gold, it fizzles and I lose money. Maybe this time I'll do better.
  • edited July 2019
    But it seems like every time I buy gold, it fizzles and I lose money.
    Don't buy, please don't buy!!!:)

I bought some IAU in December and added to it in February. Just starting to take off.
  • edited July 2019
    MikeM said:

Don't buy, please don't buy.:)

LOL - Got that right Mike. It will drive you nuts. I’m just slightly overweight on my one mining fund. Benchmark allocation is only 2.5% to start with. I guess it’s about 3-4% of holdings currently. Part of that overweight is due to gold’s recent appreciation and part is intentional overweighting on my part.

Honesty compels me to add that I have long owned a modest slug of PRPFX (despised by many here). That fund allocates something like 25-30% to precious metals and (to a lesser extent) the miners.

FWIW