Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Opinion: How to invest for income when bonds pay pennies on the dollar

edited June 2019 in Fund Discussions
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-invest-for-income-when-bonds-pay-pennies-on-the-dollar-2019-06-28

-Opinion: How to invest for income when bonds pay pennies on the dollar
By Jeff Reeves

Published: June 28, 2019 8:08 a.m. ET

With 10-year Treasury around 2%, it pays to get creative
Getty Images

Investors these days have to learn how to drink from a fire hose of market data. From gold prices to key stock indexes to the unemployment rate, different metrics often say different things about Wall Street and how our investment portfolios are faring.-

.... I Picked up more vnq and eem recently

Comments

• Opinion: bone up on CEF's and expand your investing horizon.
  • The Moneywatch writer is a bit LATE to the party. The time to be making those suggestions was Dec2018, not July 2019.
  • edited June 2019
    So his idea of “creativity” is to side-step the (apparently overvalued) S&P 500 and move your cash instead into (1) REITS, (2) Utilities, (3) Junk Bonds, (4) Dividend Paying Stocks and (5) Unconstrained Bond Funds?

I’m not familiar with the last one. But those first 4 are likely bid up just as much over the last year (perhaps more so) as the S&P 500 is. And you’d likely be paying much higher fees to go into one of those type of specialty funds than what an S&P index fund will cost you. So I’m not seeing the “creativity” angle here. Just jumping from one hot frying pan into another it would appear. As far as gold goes, two months ago would have been a good time to pick some up (or the miners). But now it has pretty much caught up with those other areas. The one I own, OPGSX, is up 20% in the past month, which accounts for most of its 24% gain YTD.

It’s been hard for me for many years now to think of cash as an “investment”. Sure, it’s good to hold some as dry powder or for stability or to meet near term needs. But 1-3% annual return on your long term investment pot just doesn’t cut it IMHO.