Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: 3 Top Mid-Cap Funds: Text & Video Presentation

FYI: To some investors, mid-cap stocks represent the best of all words, in that they're still nimble and growing, but they're through their initial growing pains. Joining me to share some favorite actively managed mid-cap stock funds is Russ Kinnel. He's Morningstar's director of manager research.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/videos/932182/3-top-midcap-funds.html

Comments

• I did some of my own research as I wanted to add a mid-cap fund. I ended up buying CFAGX about 2 months ago.
  • Hi Ron,
    Great choice! It looks good. Saying that, Fido said, on January 17th, that mid caps were it.....to June more, so Asbury said on the webcast. Me? I have BTMFX, CIPMX, PARMX, UMBMX. They should have a mid year forecast in June, so we'll see how it goes from here. Who knows what will happen at the speed of Tweet.
    God bless
    the Pudd
    p.s., This was the only thing they were right on in the podcast.
  • @puddnhead: I didn't listen to podcast so was wondering what their batting average was.
    Could you help me out ?
    Thanks Derf
  • As far as FLPSX is concerned, I'd much rather be in VMVFX, which is fairly similar.
  • How so? I mean, check out market cap, for starters.
  • edited June 2019
    Well Dave, as far as mid cap goes within these funds, which its alluded to in the title, VMVFX contains almost 47%, while FLPSX contains closer to 40%. The Fidelity fund contains a bit more small where VMVFX tilts a little towards the large. VMVFX contains approximately 48% international, and FLPSX contains about 38%. I said they were fairly similar, so not really sure why you would jump on that, for starters. Let me add that I like Puddnheads suggetions better, maybe with the exception of PARMX. I just thought FLPSX should not have been in that article. I find Morningstar suggestions often strange.
  • Hi Derf,
    Only have a few notes.
    They were first for me, but here they are Christmas lows. Should hold four quarters......who knows how many mid caps outperform first 2 quarters.
    Healthcare is a buy 10yr - 2.9% to 3.00%. By summer, growth is a buy. After mid terms, market is generally good. That's about all I have. Again, most of it was general after the Dec. crash. If you said, "buy!," how could you be wrong?
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @bartab,

MC of course is M*'s designation for FLPSX, also its benchmark, and has been as long as I am aware, I think (did not check).

By market cap I meant (the usual definition) the average size of the companies owned in the portfolio. It is an average and as you indicate parsing the holdings is interesting.

VMWX's benchmark and category are both quite different, so not sure why you would argue, and any MC article, almost, is going to include Tillinghast's long work and history. Indeed, what would be genuinely strange would be not to, and also to include the way younger VMVFX, whose aim nominally is different, per its name (also a GO, fwiw).

Perhaps you can explain, though, how the MFOP Cap Avg $M is given as 36 (>150% of the Vanguard) whereas the M* Avg Market Cap is just under $8M (60% of the Vanguard). I must be misunderstanding something here.

Their Lipper scores oddly are identical except for FLPSX having higher consistency.
  • I guess I am just poking at Morningstar and their mutual fund classifications and mutual fund benchmarks. In this instance, VMVFX is classified as a World Small/Mid Stock, yet holds a very minimal amount of small/micro stocks. FLSPX is classified as MC, yet holds a good amount of small and micro. This would obviously throw off the average market cap, as you mentioned. Also, while FLPSX contains a rather large slug of international, it's benchmark as noted in Morningstar is The Russell MC 2000 Value. Doesn't make sense to me, so I just tend to look at what is inside the funds. VMVFX is well diversified, and I liked the bit larger portion of Real Estate, which I was lacking. FLPSX is stronger in Cyclicals, where I am well taken care of. So, just looking at these two funds without looking at a chart, would you have thought that the low volatility fund since its inception would beat so handily the Fidelity fund? I would not have.
  • Janus Henderson Enterprise Fund
    T. Rowe Price New Horizons Fund
    T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth Fund
  • edited June 2019
    Just found this Bottomline Personal article written by David (sorry if this was already posted earlier).

https://bottomlineinc.com/money/mutual-funds-etfs/these-attractive-funds-focus-on-overlooked-midcap-stocks
  • VSCIX. There's a good one. We sold out of it when things got stinky at the end of last year, and converted to VEIRX. There's gotta be a retail class of shares, eh? Anyhow, the sharp downturn sent us looking for something more steady and reliable. VSCIX is supposed to be "small blend," But in actuality, it's positioned in the "mid-growth" space, these days. And Vanguard has STOPPED selling to individuals, I just read????? Sucks.