Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Futures down After hours- not liking Trump's latest Tariffs (on Mexico)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/investing/mexico-tariffs-stock-reactions/index.html

Dow futures declined around 200 points, or 0.9%, on Thursday evening after President Donald Trump said the United States will impose a 5% tariff on all Mexican imports. S&P 500 futures fell 0.8% and Nasdaq futures were down 0.9%.

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Thank you @JoeD
    I'll place the link below for those who are curious about his Tweets in real time.
    You will notice individual sections. Each one may be "clicked" to further open to read replies via scrolling. When finished with a section, you will see a "X" to the upper right. Click this to close your current read and return to the full list that is chronological.

I must presume the tariff will include the newer Chevy Blazer, which is built in Mexico.

Lastly, I didn't think I would live long enough to see the utter madness of someone elected to the highest political office of this country.
    ADD: I wish these methods would provide some positive results; but I don't believe in his views of how to obtain positive results. I'll stop here.....

Trump Twitter feed

• According to Trump, Mexico (and China and ...) will be the ones paying the tariffs. it seems he's finally figured out (in his mind) how to get Mexico to pay for the wall.
  • msf said:

According to Trump, Mexico (and China and ...) will be the ones paying the tariffs. it seems he's finally figured out (in his mind) how to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

Yes, "in his mind"

In his mind, he is King of all that is. "In his mind" he is untouchable. All that orange make-up must have seeped into his tiny brain and done some serious damage.

• @Catch22 - Re falling futures -

There’s no problem that can’t be solved by simply rewriting the history books.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48456742
  • FWIW, data to be reported Friday at 8:30 a.m. ET is April’s personal consumption and expenditures, which includes the PCE deflator, an inflation reading tracked by the Federal Reserve.

Could be another market driver tomorrow (along with Trumps latest tariff announcement).

• 'Tariff Man' strikes again. So much ignorance-based #winning I can't take it....

I'd call him an idiot, but that'd be disrespecting all the other idiots out there.

• edited May 2019
    From reading what others have written ... I see ... we've got a broad spectrum of thoughts about our President.

I'm thinking he has good business wisdom, a rational thought process to go from A to B; and, a willingness to go against conventional thinking.

And, with this, the United States Treasury is raking in the dough!

Perhaps, this is how he plans to pay for the grossly needed infrastructure improvements?
  • Donald Nixon ...