Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Mueller Report: Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Election

Comments

• @JoeD; And he lost the popular vote. Not the first Prez to do that if memory serves me right.
    Derf
  • Derf, but it should be the last. Its happened 5 times. We need to change an antiquated system.

(Trump makes GDubya look like a master wordsmith by comparison.)
  • What you are criticizing is the Constitution.

And as for words, Trump knows all the best words!

(source: Donald J. Trump)
  • edited April 2019
    We are indeed missing the best president EVER... ++++++,,,wish (s)he can be president still after 3 or 4 terms
  • Welcome to Squirrellyville. We hope you enjoy your stay here!
  • dryflower said:

What you are criticizing is the Constitution.

The Electoral College must die.
  • Hi @Crash:

The Electoral College is a pretty complex and an encompassing process.

I have provided a link below that explains it in great detail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

So, please tell why you feel it should die?

• edited April 2019
    We're in the 21st century. States' Rights is dead. The Civil War killed it. Already, the States are utterly dependent upon Washington (and its money.) No doubt, someone will point to a place like Montana, which did not want any speed limits. Much of Montana is indeed wide-open. "Big Sky" country. But the Feds insisted, so they instituted a NIGHT TIME speed limit, if they were to get any of Washington's transportation money. ... Anyhow, the Electoral College serves to give sparsely populated "fly-over" States undue influence. My idea is: one person, one vote. (I know, totally crazy, isn't it????) Give my vote the same weight as one other person in Plentywood, Montana. Or anywhere else. Let's do away with the anachronism, and vote DIRECTLY, nationwide, for our favored candidate. The elected President is supposed to be President for all Americans. Naturally, an exception is made by many re: the Trumpster--- who is a fecal, pathetic excuse for a human being, let alone a President. I voted for Jill Stein. At least I can't be blamed.

...And if it should happen that the majority becomes Repugnant rather than Demublican, and the utterly partisan, radical, half-literate wingnuts can legitimately claim to control the government--- well, then: at least it could be asserted that we did it to ourselves, and that someone who did NOT get the most votes was put in place by a screwed-up System INTENDED to give undue influence toward the LOSING party and candidate.
    (Maine and Nebraska split their Electoral votes already, eh?)
    Crash said:

dryflower said:

What you are criticizing is the Constitution.

The Electoral College must die.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hi @Crash:

The Electoral College is a pretty complex and an encompassing process.

I have provided a link below that explains it in great detail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

So, please tell why you feel it should die?

Let's flip the question around....why should the Electoral College system be used instead of the popular vote?

As Crash wrote..."Give my vote the same weight as one other person in Plentywood, Montana. Or anywhere else.

• edited April 2019
    @johnN- I would remind you that posting MFO guidelines stipulate that bare links are not appropriate. A short (and hopefully articulate) comment is requested which either summarizes or outlines the reason for the link.

It would be appreciated if you would make some effort to observe the posting guidelines and general commenting format as practiced by almost all other posters.

Thank you.

articulate
    adjective: having or showing the ability to speak... coherently

• edited April 2019
    Following are lightly edited excerpts from the link posted above, without explanation or comment, by johnN.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that President Donald Trump would have been indicted in the Mueller investigation if not for a long-standing Department of Justice rule that shields a sitting president from indictments.

"I think there's enough there that any other person who had engaged in those acts would certainly have been indicted," Clinton said Tuesday. "But because of the rule in the Justice Department that you can't indict a sitting president, the whole matter of obstruction was very directly sent to the Congress."

The Justice Department, including special counsel Robert Mueller's team, has followed the Office of Legal Counsel's guidance from 2000 stating that "the indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions."

• Trump will probably be able to hold off the impeachment process for the remainder of his term. The only benefit for us is that it may weaken his 40% approval ratings a tiny bit.

We should focus finding a real president for 2020. And maybe changing some of the laws that make the POTUS almost "untouchable" - one lesson that Donnie has forced us to learn the hard way.
  • edited April 2019
    A scenario that would be really interesting is if Trump is reelected but the Democrats retake the Senate in 2020. Without Mitch McConnell covering his ass Trump is dead meat. I've not seen any political commentary on this possibility, but it could turn out to be very entertaining indeed.

But with a 2/3 vote needed in the Senate, conviction would still be very problematical, unfortunately.
  • JoeD said:

Trump is not my president. He is an abomination and an embarrassment. And he lost the popular vote.

Because Hillary would be sooooo amazing..... SMH
  • actually, sure
  • edited April 2019
    Hi Sir @Old-Joe: Thanks for corrections

...hope it may work.
    so many loops to jump through
    have to win senate in 2020
    have to vote on impeachments
    take 2/3 of Congress to decide
    take majority of house to decide
    Democratics in Swing states may have difficult time deciding if they would want to impeach trump

lots hardcore GOP rhetorics are saying that they will take house back in 2020 though

By the time they are almost done through all legal loopholes, its near end of Trump's presidency. he may get out the last yr by impeachment, maybe good for him to spend lots of time 8th year [like Obama] playing Golf instead of being in WH after impeachment. Its probably same thing for him - being in Golf whether he is POTUS or not (but without the title "President Trump")

we are still waiting on new legal issues for trump & family regarding Tax returns, improper fees dispensing during campaign and trump's family expenses during campaign (whole family is being sued). The real winners here are the legal teams/lawyers fees.

imho...mfo maybe more interesting w/ all the politics discussions instead of MF/ETFs posting. Wonder if moderator may change the rules because of these
  • edited April 2019
    JoJo26 said:

JoeD said:

Trump is not my president. He is an abomination and an embarrassment. And he lost the popular vote.

Because Hillary would be sooooo amazing..... SMH
    Typical Trump minion response. Nobody mentioned Hillary. Shake your head at yourself.

• edited April 2019
    https://www.oddsshark.com/other/2020-usa-presidential-odds-futures

Look like Vegas already decide trump is real horse for 2020...
    May place small bet on dinosaur Bernie though you may get real ly lucky
  • “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation. This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations.”

— ROBERT MUELLER, in a letter to Trump attorney general Bill Barr.

https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/barr-coverup-mueller-told-a-g.html
  • hank said:

“There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation. This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations.”

— ROBERT MUELLER, in a letter to Trump attorney general Bill Barr.

https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/barr-coverup-mueller-told-a-g.html

Disappointing that Mueller didn't speak up a littler quicker. Then again, anybody with a lick of common sense knew that Barr would spin the findings to Donnie's benefit. Barr is a puppet.

I think Biden is the only hope for a positive change in 2020. The rest of the Dem field is severely lacking.
  • edited April 2019
    I could vote for Joe. I think K. Gillibrand screwed him. He's religious with a social justice awareness. A CONSCIENCE. How different from the current occupant of the White House. Until after the convention, though, it's Bernie for me. I'd love for the stoopid American electorate to wake up and see that we don't have to have only 2 national parties. They are both corporatist parties. The Dems at least are still willing to throw a bone to the working stiff. Repugnant Party worships big, green, sweaty money.
  • "I think Biden is the only hope for a positive change in 2020. The rest of the Dem field is severely lacking."

@JoeD- With you on that one.
  • edited April 2019
    Video shows William Barr denying knowledge of Mueller's objections to his summary of the Russia probe days after Mueller sent him a letter about it.

https://defenceonline.com/2019/05/01/video-shows-william-barr-denying-knowledge-of-muellers-objections-to-his-summary-of-the-russia-probe-days-after-mueller-sent-him-a-letter-about-it-defence-online/
  • edited May 2019
    @_JoeD @,_Hank hi sirs uncle loving Joe (especially w the hands fondling) is up at least 10 - 15 points vs rest of democrats and donnie.... 2020 will be a walk in the park for him. (unless has massive strokes heart attacks on stage or falling off sidewalks like Hillary or if he keeps stumbling-speech on stage after forgetting dementia meds)

W all the power, money and established base no one can stop him this 3rd time around
    With these data think most Gop voters would stay home 2020..
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-s-king-hill-can-bernie-sanders-knock-him-n1000421
  • Did you say 15 point lead in the spring a year before the election? That sure sounds familiar. Where have I heard that before? Oh, yes ...

"Clinton has a lead of about 15 percent, followed by Sen. Barack Obama in second place and former Vice President Al Gore and John Edwards tied for third."

March 14, 2007. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/14/democrats.poll/
  • Bernie is only a democrat when it suits him (read: financial aid, major party endorsement). I appreciate his social justice stance(s) but I have little faith in his ability to compromise and no idea hoe he'll deal on issues outside our borders.

What I'd like to see is an honest, sit down, face-to-face discussion between all of the contenders on the issues facing this country.
  • "Honest?" You really believe in miracles?
  • Not really OJ but I can be a bit of a dreamer.