Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jeffrey Gundlach Says The Stock Market Was And Still Is In A Bear Market

FYI: Key Points:

.“The stock market was and still in a bear market,” the founder and chief executive officer of Doubleline Capital said in an investor webcast on Tuesday.

.Gundlach said stocks could go negative again in 2019.

.He credited the market rebound to the “180-degree turn” from the Federal Reserve.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/jeffrey-gundlach-says-the-stock-market-was-and-still-is-in-a-bear-market.html

Comments

• Another bond guru making self-serving stock market forecasts, which usually turn out to be wrong. Why does anyone care what a bond manager thinks about stocks?
  • Perma bears are as dangerous of overly optimistic managers. Yes, when the bear eventually happens they strike gold but look at Hussman for example. It did make money in 2018 but over 3, 5, 10, 15 year horizons HSGFX has lost money. As smart as they might be they are very poor in predicting or in their fund management skills.
  • edited March 2019
    Gundlach conveniently ignores the significance of the junk bond market which has been making all times highs. It made an all time high 11 trading days in a row beginning on 2/15. It backed off just a tad for a few days but when today.’s data is posted ( the BA Merrill Lynch High Yield Master II Index) it will shows all time highs again today the 13th. I can’t predict any better than the man in the moon but I would be very surprised if sooner than later the S&P will be following junk and making a new all time high.
  • edited March 2019
    I don’t think anything is cheap. But to the extent there’s a bubble I’d say it’s in some of the tech stuff and the S&P index which have been bid up greatly in recent years. A lot of my stuff (notably deep value and natural resources) haven’t done much the past few years and are now just playing catch up. I like it!