Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG March 2019
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2018 Wasn’t The Year Of The Stock Picker: SPIVA Year End 2018

TedTed
edited March 2019 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Year after year, when the outlook for equity markets looks uncertain, professional money managers say this could be the year for stock pickers. And year after year it isn’t.

The perennial S&P Indices vs. Active Report—also known as Spiva—released on Monday showed that 2018 was the fourth-worst year for U.S. stock fund managers since 2001.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-pickers-returns-lagged-benchmarks-in-2018-51552381200?refsec=funds

SPIVA Year End 2018: (Upper Left)
https://eu.spindices.com/resource-center/thought-leadership/research/

Comments

• Hi Guys,

Year after year the SPIVA reports persistently document the general failure of active fund management to even match the performance delivered by comparable Index products. It's a sad story.

Over a one year period many excepts do exist ( the Buffetts of the investment world), but even for that short period the odds are often below a 50% outperformance score. Over even a modest 3-year period, the active management outperformance drops to below a disappointing 20% outperformance record. Over longer periods, the failure rate goes north of 90%. Indeed a sad, sad story. Good luck on identifying those 20% that are superior before the fact.

A few of us have the intuition, the experience, and/or the statistical,analyses skills to successfully make that winning selection. From years of trying, I conclude that I do not. So, basically it's Index investing for me with a small fraction still in active management. I'm a slow and optimistic learner. Good luck to all MFO learners, both fast and slow.

Best Regards