Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ProShares: Why Dividend Aristocrats Are King: (NOBL)

FYI: The fourth quarter of 2018 was undeniably terrible for U.S. equity markets. Under pressure from politics, earnings and interest rates, markets pulled back, obliterating their year-to-date gains. But a group of companies with a simple yet distinctive mark of quality—the longest track records of consistent dividend growth—fared far better than their peers.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.etf.com/sections/etf-industry-perspective/proshares-why-dividend-aristocrats-are-king

M* Snapshot NOBL:
https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/bats/nobl/quote.html

Comments

• @Ted. thanks for sharing this. SDY is also a great fund that follows this strategy with a long track record. Are you aware of strong funds with international holdings that follow same strategy?
  • edited February 2019
    The ones I know of:

VIGI (intl equivalent of VIG)
    IDV (intl equivalent of DVY)
    IDVY (iShares EURO dividend)
    DVYA (iShares Asia/Pacific dividend)
    DVYE (iShares EM dividend)
    VYMI (intl equivalent of VYM)
    IDOG (intl “dogs of the EAFE” or similar, approach)
    FSD (First Trust global dividends)
    IQDF (Intl quality dividends)
    Wisdom Tree has several intl dividend focused ETFs

I just looked these up on ETFDB.com. Haven’t dug into any of them. International dividends are usually higher, but paid more irregularly, than domestic companies. And of course, accounting and other governance standards are sometimes not as good as US companies. And may just be better with a generic foreign or global fund.
  • @Graust. thanks very much for sharing. I use these types of funds on the domestic side for helping balance out and lower the overall risk from some of my growth oriented funds. I need to review these to see if that makes sense internationally also.
  • @MikeW: maybe look, also, at the low volatility international ETFs of various flavors. Less focus on dividends, but a similar lower risk way to get international exposure