Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Clean up in the condiment aisle

Mr. Market took a sledgehammer to KHC today. Down 27.5% to go with a nasty to the dividend. Makes me wonder if Warren and Charlie are muttering "ketchup in the aisle" instead of "blood in the streets."

Comments

• Yep ... and, to Cramer's credit he's had concern about KHC for sometime.
  • edited February 2019
    List of KHC’s brands resembles a trip back to how people ate in the 60s. Lots of sugar, startch and fat (with a few exceptions like nuts).

Take a walk through the frozen foods section of a big grocery. The amount of space devoted to a wide variety of frozen, microwaveable meals is astounding. Folks on the run appreciate the convenience. If watching nutritional values the precise labeling is a plus. Doesn’t compare to Grandma’s home cooking (and more expensive) - but have to believe it’s profitable based on the amount of expensive shelf space allocated. Does KHC even have any products in the frozen meals category? And what in ##%!# is a Boca Burger?

Many societal changes since the 60s may help account for increased consumption of pre-cooked frozen meals: smaller families, more singles, more working women, higher incomes, greater mobility, greater nutritional awareness. The most important change: During the 1970s compact affordable microwave ovens became available to consumers.

KHC Brands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kraft_brands
  • Boca Burger is a veggie burger and appears to be their only frozen meals brand.
  • Gotta admit I do buy a few of these products, but they might want to rename the Cheese Wiz to College Wiz, since that is the last time I ate it:) Hate to admit but, but still like Velveeta when making a cheese sauce. I too love the frozen vegetables, especially the steam in pouch ones. I did not see any entrees in to frozen veggies on its list. Few of us past 40 eat their soups anymore. I do buy Progresso Soups though, someone ought to tell them to buy Generous Mills (thats what we call them in New Mexico, they fund many nonprofits here)
  • Frozen foods. Let's start off with what ought to be the most obvious for Kraft - Mac & Cheese. Branded slightly upscale as Cracker Barrel:

Then there's Devour - it's new line of frozen foods. It supposedly ran a Superbowl commercial (don't know, didn't watch). Here's the uncensored version, considered too racy for prime time:

Finally, in Canada, Kraft has started selling frozen food under the Crave moniker (which might just be a different name for its Devour line):
    http://strategyonline.ca/2018/07/19/kraft-heinz-launches-craveable-frozen-meals/
    https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/kraft-heinz-is-pushing-its-frozen-food-brand-during-the-super-bowl-with-edgy-campaign/

• edited February 2019
    That crackling barrel mac & cheese contains 370 calories per serving. There’s 4 servings per container. That’s 1480 calories in that one package. You’d have to be crazy to eat that garbage.

And the second one is hilarious! :)
  • The more than 3600 mg of sodium in one mac & cheese package is also crazy!
  • edited February 2019
    carew388 said:

The more than 3600 mg of sodium in one mac & cheese package is also crazy!

Well ... We’ve pretty much satisfied “step 1”. :)

The Six Steps In Problem Solving

1.Define the Problem.
    2.Determine the Root Cause(s) of the Problem.
    3.Develop Alternative Solutions.
    4.Select a Solution.
    5.Implement the Solution.
    6. Evaluate the Outcome.

http://www.free-management-ebooks.com/news/six-step-problem-solving-model/