Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Target-Date Funds Are Tanking, But Don’t Throw In The Towel

FYI: It has been a tough year for investors in general, but investors in target-date funds have more reason to be wondering what went wrong. The average fund lost 4% this year through Dec. 10, notes Morningstar, while the S&P 500 is up just under 1%. Not one of 664 target-date funds on the market, which together hold more than $1.1 trillion in assets, has had a positive return, according to Morningstar.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.barrons.com/articles/target-date-funds-fall-but-can-still-help-with-retirement-51544817528?mod=djem_b_Weekly barrons_daily_newsletter

Comments

• Interesting that they cite Professor S lauding TRP (a firm I actually like), which happens to be the most expensive on the chart. Since Vanguard is 0.5% x 20 (25, 30 yr?? [optimists live longer] cheaper, I'll take my 10, 12.5 or 15% to good cheap restaurants, a lake shore cabin, a winter in Portugal, my granddaughters' college graduations, any place but the grave.
  • edited December 2018
    TOO MUCH HYSTERIA!

Run the market straight up for months on end to unsustainable heights. Than “wring your hands in richeous indignation” on a little correction (quote borrowed from @Ted). For the year TRRIX is off about 2.8%. Me about the same. It’s a 40/60 fund. But I suspect you can find quite a few 60/40 funds off just as little or even less.

So since when does a 3 or 4% dinging over a one year period constitute “tanking”? A cliche in sports is “Act like you’ve been there before.”. Might also apply here.
  • I was wondering how TSP funds (target date) were doing ytd.
    @ johnN : can you help me out as you're a TSP user?

Thanks , Derf
  • Derf said:

I was wondering how TSP funds (target date) were doing ytd.
    @ johnN : can you help me out as you're a TSP user?

Thanks , Derf

FedSmith site has the YTD summary in a chart a little less than half way down this page on the right.
    https://www.fedsmith.com/category/pay-benefits/