Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• jlev November 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

buying mutual funds in October

Hi all, I have a question to the board. I am curious how people deal with this issue. So October is historically a volatile month and usually presents buying opportunities. However, October is pretty close to when distributions are made. So on the one hand, October could be a good time to buy mutual funds (MF) but on the other hand it is not advised as you could get a tax bill. One option is to check if MF that you are interested in buying will make distributions. Obviously other options are to buy index funds which don't make big distributions, buy in retirement accounts,... Case in point IVA funds have recently opened and with the downturn, this might be a good entry point. However, the IVA funds will be making large distributions soon (primary reason that they are open now). And yes, I own actively managed funds and some of them in taxable accounts. Just wondering how others approach this issue. Granted everyone is moving toward index and so not an issue for them.

Comments