Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The 7 Worst Funds: Lessons For Investors:

FYI: Clunkers provide a teaching moment.

Wall Street has terrific deals these days: commission-free trading at JP Morgan, zero-expense funds from Fidelity, ETFs so cheap they have negative holding costs.

And then it has some deals that are not terrific. We went hunting for disappointments and mishaps and found seven funds that stand out. They all have lessons for investors.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2018/09/12/the-seven-worst-funds-lessons-for-investors/#59689591491b

Comments

• I confess I own one of these funds (peopx) for the reasons suggested(I owe taxes) and in most years it does not do worse than several of my other funds)
  • edited September 2018
    Translation: Insanely-priced OEFs are not a good investment. Not exactly rocket-science there, Forbes reporter.

Want to talk about bad investment funds and lessons learned? PAUIX holders who stuck with the fund despite Arnott's ongoing 20% short position in the S&P during the past 10 years, simply because his models said to. When the markets change, in an actively managed fund like that, you need to at least be open to the possibility of changing your strategy. (Of course PAUIX folks could switch into his other tactical fund that didn't have the short position, but IIRC the performance wasn't that much better.)