Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In case you see this on your system....Windows 10, warns of not needing to install Chrome or Foxfire

I suspect this is marketing and not technical. Running Windows 7 here; but daughter has Windows 10 on her system; so, I'm going to read a bit.

Windows 10, warns of not needing to install Chrome or Foxfire

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2018
    MFO Members: It's nonsense ! Don't waste your time !!
  • How short the memory. Remember Netscape? Microsoft back to their old tricks again.
  • Doesn't say anything about not needing to install Opera.
  • That's about as funny as seeing people use Bing on tv or in movies.
  • edited September 2018
    Those bastards in Marketing, again. "You really MUST use OUR product." Oh, ya? F*** YOU.
    ...Microsoft is egregiously awful. If the US authorities are too chickenshit, let the EU bring another suit and a BIG fine for uncle Bill Gates' baby.
  • I run Windows 10 at work and it works with Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and the lastest Microsoft browser, Edge. From what catch 22 said, I would ignore MS's statement.

From what I read, Edge uses your browsing history and sells them to other firms for unknown purposes. Sound familiar as to FaceBook and Analytica ?
  • Never use I.E. or Edge. Clear cache often. Ad Blocker, Privacy Badger.
  • edited September 2018
    i use multiple browsers on my system just to segregating surfing with different things on it. For instance I will only use ONE browser application for online investing. This post being sent from another browser. And I mean different browser instance not another instance of same browser (but you already knew that).

Keep cookies separate. Never save passwords. And don't forget Internet Explorer and Edge are different browsers.

And come on guys, it is not a warning, and you can't blame them. I don't get why people use Windows and diss Microsoft. There are other viable options. For the consumer - not work - you do have options you can take.
  • Microsoft was fined by EU awhile back when they refuse to unbuddle I.E. browser in the XP OS sold in Europe. Alternative browsers such as Netscape was crippled in many of its functionalities. Today MS is pushing for cloud-based services including Office that is yearly subscription, and back-up storage for the contents in your hard drive. MS, however, has learned their lesion and a standalone 2016 Office Professional package can be had at Amazon for $360. We bought a license (Mac version) for our family Macs.

Today many of the Adobe products are subscription-based. Most annoying thing is that the users must log-in at least once every month to maintain their licenses. If the users choose to use their cloud storage, Adobe maintains their rights to use the content without paying a royalty. When I read this in the Disclosure Statement and verified it later, I decline this part of service. Portable hard drives are inexpensive alternatives.

• @Sven- Right on. Agree completely.
  • Say no to subscription based software. If enough people do it, they will not have a choice.
  • Apple offers a free package for word processing (Pages), spreadsheet (Numbers), and presentations (Keynotes). After using is exclusively at home, it does a nice job comparing to MS Office. Depending on the level of complexity you need, it is worthwhile to consider. Safari browser is nice and secure. Even though Apple products cost more than PC, we found Their durability is better. Our iPads and iMac are well 4-7 years olds, respectively and still going strong. Seldom we found software conflict in graphic software, and that is the major reason artists overwhelmingly uses Macs.
  • @Sven. Yeah. Apple finally woke up. Problem is their computers are still too dang expensive. THAT is the reason there is no real alternative to Windows.

I've tried using Linux at home several times. I keep going back to Windows. It's like not wanting to go to Walmart, but you end up there.
  • I have used Windows platform since 4.1, and the overall experience is underwhelming. Today I spend 30 minutes to update the Windows 10 with patches after patches.

While I agree that Macs's hardwares cost more than PCs, there are many advantages that more than compensate for the price difference. First, Apple's OS is more efficient and secure from hacking than Windows OS. This allows for longer refresh cycle. My iMac is over 7 years old ($1,200) and after 2 OS upgrades it is still runs fine with only 16 GB ram. My custom-built PC with the same CPU, 2x RAM, and a larger HD, is not exactly low cost $1,500 either. Second, compatibility between hardware components with software. My graphic department uses Macs exclusively. Third, custom support for PCs is not so good after one year whereas the Apple's User Discussion is moderated by their employees and the support extends well beyond 12 months.

In general we stay away from the white box PCs from HP and Dell. Many of them have barely enough hardware to run the OS more than 2-3years. By the time when quality components are added. One find themselves not saving much. Also frustratiion with your computers is priceless.