Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cramer

So, I watched "Mad Money" today for the first time in quite a long time. I must say, I was quite disappointed in the content. In summary, I viewed a 1-hour infomercial about asset allocation, book plugs, and a very basic philosophy about investing in the stock market. Have I missed something over the past year or so? As an intermediate investor, I gained no new knowledge about stocks or stock picking in general. I got the distinct impression that the show is a lure for Cramer's books, his "Action Alerts" newsletter or his vague tidbits about the stock market. Maybe I viewed an "educational" show. Am I missing something?

Comments

• No, you didn't. It's just manic--- REALLY manic--- filler. I don't have tv anymore. I don't miss it. Cramer rushing through everything and screaming at me is a thing I don't miss. Just like EVERY commercial screamed at me--- despite the CALM Act. But we don't dare ENFORCE that, right? Because gummint BELONGS to Big Money.
  • "I don't have tv anymore"

@Crash- well, we still have one, but it hasn't been turned on in a couple of months. I don't miss it either.
  • If that's indicative of his show, it's hard to believe that it stays on the air at CNBC. I do watch the channel at various times throughout the day and find some content informative. Cramer seems out of place with the rest of the programming.
  • edited June 2018
    To me CNBC US remains a hype-filled joke that caters to amateurs, wanna-be traders, and folks who like financial pr0n (which can include many of us, probably) and are enamoured by the glitzy on-screen special effects and panel discussions/shouting matches. Absolutely there are some good reporters and pieces now and then but IMO they get obscured by everything else. :/

By contrast, CNBC WORLD is (or at least it was, last time I checked) much more subdued and serious -- in some ways, almost Bloomberg-like. But I haven't watched CNBC-anything in *ages* ... if I want financial TV, it'll be Bloomberg.

I've done a bunch of wonderful interviews on Bloomberg over the years but my one and only for CNBC-US was a few years ago on Kudlow's then-show in the evening. I think I got in 2 sentences during the entire bit, while the other interviewee had like 5 minutes of free time to discuss unrelated stuff. It was a total waste of time -- never again!
  • Howdy,

Welcome to the monkey farm. As mentioned by rforno, Bloomberg is much superior to CNBC or Fox's version. Alas and alack, my cable provider stopped carrying it several years back.

Back years ago, a poster Gary Smith,on predecessor boards to this, said that he only watched the TV money shows with the volume Off. In that way, he would only read the ticker, or follow Captain Price, as it were.

The commentators have been referred to as Talking Heads, Penguins, and mostly Speaking from Position.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• It seems like I'm always watching Bloomberg during the evening or late night, so I'm always getting updates on the Asian markets lol. I'll have to check out Bloomberg TV more often during the day.
  • rono said:

Howdy,

Welcome to the monkey farm. As mentioned by rforno, Bloomberg is much superior to CNBC or Fox's version. Alas and alack, my cable provider stopped carrying it several years back.

Same here, so when my contract was up, I switched "cable" providers.

Actually getting back Bloomberg was just fortuitous with the switch. I changed because the legacy provider in our area was hungry to recapture some of the customers it had lost and made an offer I couldn't refuse (including a three year, no increase price lock).

The provider I left lamented that it should not have to pay Bloomberg a dime for content since Bloomberg wasn't charging for the content online, and customers could simply go online to view Bloomberg.

It seems that Bloomberg has started charging for live streaming now (after 30 minutes viewing).
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-just-announced-its-new-subscription-strategy-to-staff-2018-5

• What ever is Cramer taking I want some too