Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Subscriptions For The 1%

FYI: We are in a subscription hell. Paywalls are going up across the internet, at aggregated prices few but Jeff Bezos can afford. The software I used to pay for once now requires an annual tax, because … “updates.” We are getting less every day, and paying more for it, all the while the core openness that made the world wide web such a dynamic and interesting place is rapidly disappearing.
Regards,
Ted
https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/13/subscriptions-for-the-1-percent/

Comments

• Not a bad article but disappointing in that I expected to find out what magazines or other are subscribed to by the 1 % so if things went well i would know what to subscribe to and sadly that's not what the article is about.
  • Perhaps we should recognize an entrepreneurial opportunity and start a "Comcast" type bundling of online publications for a single monthly subscription price that goes up up up as the content goes down down down. The masses will get a few classics with junk, but we will offer a premium bundle of the customer's choosing for a low low price of $500/mo. What an opportunity!

Well, we at MFO are lucky. People with keys to the wall will filter behind the wall and bring us one paragraph summaries to keep us superficially informed. It's good to know people richer than yourself. (I personally find it valuable.)