Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are some good international funds?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some top notch international funds for my mother-in-law. I currently have DODFX but she can't buy into that since it's closed. I like the Grandeur Peak funds so that that's an option. I'd like to do something that's not focused on growth or value but nicely in blend. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2018
    TROSX (TRP.) TBGVX (Tweedy Browne.) TQGEX (TRP, run by the same fellow who is in charge at PRDSX.) ... Wait for some more suggestions. There should be plenty. I'm interested in the board's opinions of TQGEX, myself. The name of the fund seems to indicate that it's a "quant" fund, as is PRDSX. It's only been up and running since 2016.)
  • those are some good ideas, Crash. Thanks!
  • edited April 2018
    DOMIX, VINEX, FMIJX
  • FMIJX or ARTGX. The latter is a Global placeholder for ARTKX. If/when ARTKX reopens, I would perform an exchange.
  • @Paul,

Why bother? I have been asking myself that and have no good answer. Diversification ain't it, at least for foreign LC. Graph DODFX or FOSFX against DODGX and FUSEX.
    Maybe EM and SC foreign offer some diversification, have not checked.
    But since so much of SP500 power and earnings come from overseas presence, it is a question worth looking into.
  • VTPSX. When the going gets good, the index gets going.
  • VMVFX SGOVX for lower volitility global funds.
  • edited April 2018
    ROSOX
    BUFIX
    QFVOX
    JOHIX
    QFVOX
  • MIOPX, FMIJX, MAVRX, SIDVX, to name a few
  • TCMPX for International

SFGIX, GPEOX for EM

Don't waste my time up cap. Just index it.
  • VWIGX
    OAKIX
  • JoJo26 said:

TCMPX for International

SFGIX, GPEOX for EM

Don't waste my time up cap. Just index it.

You had me going for a bit. GPEOX is hard closed.
  • Soft closed.
  • I wonder if SFGIX is still worth recommending? Downside capture is a good attribute. But I don't plan to grow my stake. I know Foster is an expert and knows his shit. Yet SFGIX seems to want to not lose, rather than to win. Just my opinion. I've owned it since 2012. I'm also beginning --- at the next (June) distribution, to start receiving, rather than re-investing profits.
  • Crash said:

I wonder if SFGIX is still worth recommending? Downside capture is a good attribute. But I don't plan to grow my stake. I know Foster is an expert and knows his shit. Yet SFGIX seems to want to not lose, rather than to win. Just my opinion. I've owned it since 2012. I'm also beginning --- at the next (June) distribution, to start receiving, rather than re-investing profits.

I bailed on it a few months ago as it wasn't living up to my expectations for EM exposure. Upon further review, I see it has struggled YTD and over the past 3 years. I think there are better options.
  • If you want a global fund IWIRX might work.

It is hard to find a similar fund to DODFX as it is mostly a bottom up large cap value fund with a heavy dose of emerging markets. You might want to go with to funds to replicate it.
  • great, great ideas. thanks all!:)