Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any problem with YCGEX?

I ordered small minimum of this fund last Friday a.m. No confirmation at end of day then, or evening today (Monday). I've never had a MF NOT confirm at the end of the same day ordered. Should I be worried? Cathy

Comments

• How did you place the order? If by phone, you should received a confirmation number and the transaction is recorded. If done online, you should received a confirmation statement right away.
  • Hi @CathyG,

Welcome back.

Looks like sibling rivalries in the Yacktman Family, with Brian's fund (YCGEX) edging out Father Don & Brother Steve's funds (YACKX & YAFFX) over YCGEX short (2012) history.

Website profile of the fund:

Performance comparison (to YACKX) since inception:

Finally, YTD up +1.9% (4/9/2018)...impressive.

Thanks for mentioning the fund (sorry to hear you had trouble executing the trade).
  • Is this guy brother of the YAFFX manager?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YACKX way underperformed the S&P 500 over its first 3 years (26.3% cumulative vs. 46.5%) and its first 5 years (99.9% cumulative vs. 153%). That was to July 1997. The spread in performance only got worse for the rest of the decade, until the dot com bubble burst. For two years, March 31, 1998 to March 31, 2000, it managed to lose 30% even as the S&P 500 was gaining 40%.
    (All data from M*'s charts.)

For nearly a full decade, from inception in '92 through the 90s, the fund looked miserable. That did not mean that Donald Yacktman's glory days were left behind at Selected American. It just meant that the market was not good at the time for his style of value investing.
  • edited April 2018
    Frankly, I never purchased Yacktman for beating the market. That has never been my yardstick for a while now. I just don't want a fund to tank 50%.

If I wanted to find a fund to beat the market, I would just give up and buy index funds. Which is what I use in 401ks.

And now if someone can answer my question. Is YCGEX manager someone who fought with his brother and instead of helping him manage YAFFX, etc. formed his own fund company? Or is it simply a coincidence his father's name is also Donald?
  • family, yes
  • Thanks, Sven. I ordered through TDA before market open on Friday. The order was finally confirmed on Tuesday morning by TDA.
  • Hi Bee - nice to see that you're still here. Since M* only gave it 3 stars, I had a SLIGHT bit of concern. But their track record is impressive so I thought a SMALL entry amount worth it - especially many of the best MFs I've been researching lately are NOT available at TDA to NEW customers. Possibly some also not available at other brokerages, but getting a foot in the door can't hurt if I decide to add more money when/if this market settles down a bit.
  • Vintage, I read that also.
  • QUESTION. In the old version of MFO, you could reply DIRECTLY to each person who replied to your comment. The response would still be shown in that conversation link, but would show under the person's name (if that makes any sense in how I put it). Is there a way to do that now?
  • @VintageFreak: Brian is the youngest son of Donald. Yes, he and Stephen are brothers.
  • CathyG said:

QUESTION. In the old version of MFO, you could reply DIRECTLY to each person who replied to your comment. The response would still be shown in that conversation link, but would show under the person's name (if that makes any sense in how I put it). Is there a way to do that now?

No, you can still do it:-)
    But sometimes is post is too long OR if you are replying to multiple people in same post, it is more "efficient" using @CathyG
  • "When [Brian Yacktman] suggested lowering the minimum [of $50M to manage separate accounts] to [his] father, he basically said, “Great idea, just don’t do it here!” because their business model was focused on managing very few, large accounts. So, with his [father's] blessing, in 2007, [Brian] left his firm and created Yacktman Capital Group, the name of which [was] later changed to the initials YCG to avoid confusion between the two firms."

https://www.valuewalk.com/2015/09/moi-exclusive-interview-with-ycg-investments-brian-yacktman/
  • beebee
    edited April 2018
    Thanks @msf, a great interview on the fund's strategies.

The interview introduce me to the term "13F's" (SEC reporting form for Hedge Funds) or (also a recent report card of mine).

how-to-piggyback-on-warren-buffett-and-other-legendary-money-managers

Here are a few links to investors mentioned (Lou Simpson, Glenn Greenberg, and Tom Russo) mentioned in the interview.

A man of few words....Lou Simpson:
    https://25iq.com/2015/04/04/a-dozen-things-ive-learned-from-lou-simpson-about-investing-and-business/

and, A Q&A with renowned investor Lou Simpson:
    https://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/article/investment-great-lou-simpson-explains-portfolio-strategy

Talks at Google with Tom Russo:

and, Thomas Russo – Buy and Hold…and Then What (EP.16):
    capitalallocatorspodcast.com/2017/07/10/tomrusso/

13F Filing for Glenn Greenberg's Brave Warrior Capital Hedge Fund (12/31/2017):
    https://insidermonkey.com/hedge-fund/brave+warrior+capital/116/

and, Great Investor Glenn Greenberg Discusses His Investment Philosophy:
    basehitinvesting.com/great-investor-glenn-greenberg-discusses-his-investment-philosophy/

Interesting search site of Hedge Funds:
    https://hedgemind.com/hedge-fund-portfolios/Glenn-Hank-Greenberg
  • Very interesting follow-up information. Thanks @msf and @bee! Love this site!