Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gold (Funds) Still Cheap Despite Record Surge: Marc Faber Article / Interview

beebee
edited April 2011 in Fund Discussions
Read / Listen to Faber here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42478554

My take:

Gold may very well still be cheap but, I have been taking profits as I go...

I have made a habit of taking profits from my PM mining fund (USAGX=USAA PM & Mining) and Tocqueville Gold (TGLDX) as well as other portfolio "winners" and reallocate them into core holdings like PRPFX=Permanent Portfolio when they are trending above PRPFX's trend line. I tend to consider them a strong buy when they are below PRPFX's trend line. Here's a link charting these three funds. Remember this is a price chart which doesn't reflect dividend reinvested (something I do not like about Yahoo charts!)

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TGLDX+Interactive#chart4:symbol=tgldx;range=5y;compare=prpfx+usagx;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

bee

Comments

• bee,

I am curious why you own both USAGX and TGLDX? Any particular reason? 5 and 10 year performance very similar but of late TGLDX seems to be doing better.

~A
  • I actually have a toe hold in TGLDX, a leg in USAGX and a leg in VGPMX (10K min.). Being managed funds I feel manager risk is hedged by spreading the wealth in this sector. TGLDX and VGPMX both can hold metals (up to 20%) which might account for USAGX's comparative higher volitility. Stock selection by the managers also comes into play. I like diversifying when it comes to human decision making...wish Vanguard had a EFT equivalent.

Here are the three using Vanguard's Fund comparison tool: (might require some input on your part)

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/vanguard/compare?navigatingFrom=2
  • Hi Bee. I did the same. I had a 7% stake in USAGX (USAA PM and Minerals) and UNWPX (US Global World PM's.) I've cut back the last few weeks to a little over 2% now and I'll hold that. After about a 120% rise the last couple years, I thought I shouldn't stay greedy. I'll wait for a pull-back to buy it back again. I also figured I had a fairly good stake in a couple other funds that hold gold bullion, PRPFX and WASYX, Ivy Asset Strategy. PM Miners can get pretty volatile as you know.
  • Howdy,

I congratulate you both on being prudent and staying with your plans. It's very easy to get giddy as so many of us did back in the '90s. I remember old Art saying, that no one ever went broke taking profits.

Simple rebalancing can avoid a lot of losses. Back in the dot.com bull, let's say your target allocation was 60/30/10 but the equity portion had appreciated to 80%. When the market puked in 00', most equities about half. This means that without rebalancing, you lost 40% whereas if you had rebalanced, you would have only lost 30%. Yeah, still a lot, but when it comes to your retirement, every bit helps.

peace,

rono
  • Hey rono,

Thanks for the help along the way...you get the lighthouse award...you are right about re-balancing. If you don't do it first the market has a funny way of doing it for you.

bee
  • Dido thanks from me rono. This is one sector I probably never would have invested in without reading your Asia and the metals posts.
  • Ditto. I profited by investing as I did after reading your posts. TY Rono.