Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Painful Watching The Numbers Today

edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
And that's on good news out of Washington!

I know, I know...the market these days moves directly opposite logic.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Just about nowhere to hide today. Believe PG was up, not much else...volume on consumer staples way up.

Financials slammed on heavy volume.

Closing numbers for day on Seeking Alpha:

And bonds, the blows were a little softer, perhaps:

Volume way up on AGG looks like. Fortunately, the drop was not too bad.
  • I am sure I will jinx them for tomorrow but some of the bank loan funds were up today ala HFRZX and NFRIX.
  • edited December 2013
    Painful for Hussman too - HSGFX down .10% & HSGFX down .45% Geez - Down on up days and down on down days. I think he should start reading this board. Definitely could use a little help:-)
  • edited December 2013
    My only holding on the + side was SUBFX.....all the more reason I am directing more dollars to this holding over the next few months.

And then there's PIMCO Total Return...frankly, I getting a bit tired of this "new normal" philosophy. I'm thinking my personal "new normal" approach will consist of redirecting these funds over to OSTIX, a holding which seems to be doing pretty okay.
  • I note that for some Matthews funds, the Record Date for year-end distributions is today. The "Pay Date" is tomorrow, the 12th. Does that mean that my share prices for MAINX MACSX and MAPIX are down seemingly way too much today to account for the pay-out? Or does that reduction in share price occur tomorrow, then? Yes, a stinky day, overall. On the day, I was down 0.81%.....But I'm wondering about that Matthews question. Who can answer that for me? Thanks.
  • edited December 2013
    If all the numbers are red does that mean that nothing went up?

(Actually, there were a few at least unchanged- RSIVX, WAFMX, ABHIX, AHITX and good ol' RPHYX.)
  • edited December 2013
    Unchanged on Wednesday: PREMX and MAINX. Global/EM bonds... Though bonds have been sagging, I note MAINX manages to stay put on quite a few days, whenever I check. MANY days "unchanged." Dunno why.
  • Remember down days can also be distribution days as well...
    GASFX down 3%, PCKDX down 7%...both down for the day, but on days in which they had distributions (happens quite often in December). Makes it look like they fell through the hole in the "donut".
  • Reply to @bee: Thanks bee. I was wondering if somebody left the valve open at GASFX !!

Stay warm , Derf