Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Error in Query: Request Timed Out

edited December 2013 in Technical Questions
Running Chrome browser. I get this message from MFO within seconds of bringing up the Great Owl Funds searchable and sortable table. NO table appears, and I haven't submitted anything. Suggestions?

Comments

• Can't anyone offer a suggestion as to what might be my problem here? I'd really like to be able to use the Great Owl Search Engine!
  • edited December 2013
    Hi bilvihur.

Of course, I just checked the link:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/great-owls/

And, it's working fine..using Chrome also.

If it helps, we should be posting a new and improved search engine soon!

In meantime, I'll see if I can emulate your issue and report back.
  • edited December 2013
    if you have a slow internet connection. the google search engine will timeout. I can confirm this is true.
    An on-site multi-search feature will be available soon, as David mentioned in commentary. I think you will like it
    preliminary pics under technical discussion GOSE
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Let's move this to Technical Questions.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited December 2013
    Reply to @Ted:

the original poster posts it where they want it posted. @bilvihur

I didn't post it.

They can edit the discussion and select a new category from the dropdown box to move it to where they want it to be as they see fit.

take 10 deep breaths.
  • I have no problem with moving it to Technical Questions (my mistake). I tried your link with same results. TWC Road Runner is the ISP. I have the DISCONNECT add-on installed in Chrome, but blocking/unblocking tracking sites gives same results. I'll try whatever you suggest.
  • edited December 2013
    I'd listen to Accipiter.

The only way I could get the table to not appear was to disable JavaScript in Chrome. You do that by entering:

ctrl+shift+J

Then, go to Settings in lower right of JavaScript panel.

See if JavaScript Disable box is clicked:

But I doubt it...

Like Accipiter says, issue is likely connection speed.

Sorry...this is stopgap until GOSE arrives!
  • The Disable Java Script box was NOT checked. It's unlikely that RR is too slow.
  • FWIW, I browsed the Great Owl search engine using IE8 64-bit, and it worked fine! So it wouldn't appear to be a connection speed issue, rather something inherent in my version of Chrome (Version 31.0.1650.63 m).
  • edited December 2013
    Morn'in bilvihur,

Agree with a likely Chrome problem. Our ISP has an "update, to improve one's online experience!"
    After numerous notifies, I allowed the upgrade.

After the upgrade, our pc began to have problems loading some web sites. The most common event was the overlay of HTML code upon the web page.

I discovered (without notification from the ISP); that a version of Chrome had replaced (in the background) IE, version 10.

I performed a system restore from a point prior to the upgrade; and all is now well. I informed the ISP of the problem and that it would have been nice to let the customer know what major changes were going to happen.
    No reply from them for the "heads up".:) Some days I just want to give some of these folks a good face slap. But, no more notifies about performing the "upgrade".

Also, for the fun of it or to perhaps help determine a problem; I have used this speed-test site.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Wait for the green colored "begin test" icon button to load and then click upon. Your test data will load and display at this same screen.

Note: Our current connection (to the nearest ISP server) is a 10ms PING, 30Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload speeds.

Good to know your problem is resolved.

Hi-ho, hi-ho; back to work I go.....

Regards,
    Catch

• Just a follow-up to this problem: I found (by a round-about way) that the Chrome extension AdBlock was preventing display of the table. By pausing AdBlock, or not running it on MFO at all, I was able to get the Great Owl Funds table to display correctly. Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply to @bilvihur: Actually, thank you for reporting on the cause, conditions and fix. Your experience could very well be valuable for someone else in the future. All too often people ask for help but don't bother to pass on their findings.
  • Reply to @bilvihur: I'm so glad it's all displaying well, now. Thank you for letting us know what the problem was.