Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Math of Recouping Losses

beebee
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
I recently bookmarked this image as a reminder that losses are much different than recouping from those losses.
So, if you have a $1000 investment and you experienced a 30% loss (not unheard of for equities) your investment is now valued at $700. This means that you will now need to achieve a 43% return to just get back to your $1000 value.

Comments

• MJG
    edited November 2013
    Hi Bee,

Really good stuff. Thank you for the wealth recovery chart. Charts are far more effective at demonstrating a salient point than simple text material. Many folks do not handle percentages without making errors.

A 30% discount and an additional 20% discount does not compute to a total 50% discount because of the shifting cost basis. The actual total discount is 44%. Kohl's department stores often deploy this trick in their advertisements.

Best wishes, and a Happy and peaceful Thanksgiving day.
  • One of my favorites is:

If you are down 90%, then you double your money, you are still down 80%.
  • Reply to @MOZART325: I own one of these -90%ers (bought BBRY) @ $57. Selling in the $6 range today. Almost ready to wallpaper my bathroom with the stock certificates. No conviction to buy more...unless "you know a guy... who knows a guy... who knows something?"
  • I have had a similar experience with Nokia. Bought some at around 15 a few years ago, wrote some covered calls to bring the cost basis down to around 11, It traded down to $2 but recently has quadupled. But I'm still down considerably.