Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity Floating rate income FFRHX to benefit from the coming interest rate rise

edited April 2011 in Fund Discussions
Fidelity Floating rate income FFRHX to benefit from the coming interest rate rise but with resistance to rising rates.
Which other funds in ascending order of risk would you consider?
Burt S.

Comments

• I have a large position in SAMBX - Ridgeworth High Yield Floating Rate.
    Mitchelg
  • FFRHX is a floating pig.

Do you really want to be in a junk bond fund when part II of the debt bomb explodes (actually a continuation of part one since the problems were never addressed merely papered over) ???
  • Hello ... One of the things I liked about fund alarm was one could easily reference a list of honor roll funds if one was seeking out a fund. Since that list is no more, I have linked below what MSN list as the best performing bank loan funds form both a short and long term perspective.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/partsub/funds/topfundresults.asp?Category=BL&Type=&Symbol=$HF

I hope this information is helpful ... and, Good Investing,

Skeeter
  • The quality of the loans are more important than just the performance of the fund. Avoid a fund with large % of Level 3.
  • i use closed end funds for this role in my portfolio. JRO and VVR. JRO is better managed of the two -- i watched them since October 2008. If you go with closed end, please make sure you learn about these instruments. They are currently trading at NAV or slight premium -- try to purchase when the premium is less than average (discount is more than average). this might be difficult as asset class is the most popular. YTD 2011 saw record inflows in floaters and each major house is adding them to their product line.
  • I would like to add one can also view the top rated funds for that category by changing top performing to top rated in the drop down window. I have linked below the top rated bank loan funds.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/partsub/funds/topfundresults.asp?Category=BL&View=Rated

Skeeter
  • is SAMBX and FFRHX the only no load Floating Rate loan funds?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • With default rates @ 2.4% in 2010 and might going back up to 3% this year (with 80% recovery if in default), and 4-5% spread to treasurys, both the high yield and floaters, are still one of better games in town. The new loans coming to markets are better quality and from better companies, and imbedded inflation protection is very important in this environment. nobody suggests putting 100% of one's assets in loans, but to call this asset class a pig means to call all risk assets a pig. you're welcome to go FDIC insured CDs - which seem to offer up to a whooping 1% if you lock your money for a year or two.