Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Akre Focus Fund Investor (Halloween) Conference Call

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
"To compound our Partners capital at an above average rate, while incurring a below average level of risk."

Join Chuck and the team on the Akre Focus Fund Investor Conference Call

October 31st, 2013 - 4:00PM (ET)

Dial In: (877) 509-7719 Conference ID: 52752955

Submit questions in advance by October 30th to: [email protected]

http://www.akrefund.com/index.html

Comments

• About to start...
  • edited October 2013
    Loved the call.

Straight-forward and welcoming.

"The fund invests as a team. Our success is team success." Mr. Akre stated when asked about succession.

Does not make macro calls.

Invest business by business...looking for under-valued, well-managed "compounding machines."

Seek above average return at below average risk.

AUM has grown rapidly since inception. Now holding about 20% cash.

Size dictates finding value in large caps.

No plan to close fund yet.

High conviction positions, often starting as much as 10%.

Believe the recording will be posted on site.

Well worth a listen.
  • Thanks, Charles; I intended to listen but was busy elsewhere. I'll look forward to hearing the recording. Just recently bought a starter set of AKREX shares.
  • I own some AKREX. Not adding more. Manager approaches 70, I start scaling back.
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: I gotta say, he did certainly sound pretty old on this call. But full of energy. Did not miss a beat. How old is Mr. Buffett or Mr. Munger? Sounds too like Mr. Akre has some talented folks on the team, that he trained a long time...."to be investors, not just analysts." After listening to him on this call, I would not use his age as a reason to not invest in this fund.
  • I beg to differ. Akre has his name on the door. Not the same thing. Never the same thing. Whitman, Leuthold, Akre, etc. That's why never invested in Walthausen either. It is a different kind of risk that I alone seem to perceive.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Thanks man. Understand. Hey, in any case, let's hope Mr. Akre stays healthy and active to 100 plus.