Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Monday update: the "reply" option, works in process, and the effect of clicking on a name

Dear friends,

You should now notice a "reply" option next to every comment. If you'd like to reply directly to that comment, rather than chipping on the thread in general, click "reply" and enter your thoughts. You'll then appear as an indented comment immediately below the one you were drawn to.

Brad continues working on the text for converting tickers to fund names; that is, you begin typing FMAGX and "Fidelity Magellan" will appear on-screen. And Falcon's Eye, too, if we can get it integrated.

Finally, if you haven't done so, do take a minute to click on a board member's name. It'll bring up his or her homepage on the site. From there you can send that person, or a set of people, a private message. You can find every post the person's made, every thread he or she has begun, and even live a quick hello!

Let us know what you think, and thanks.

David

Comments

• edited November 2011
  • I would like to have RTP with capability to quote post being replied to. This allows providing replies to the specific points in the original post.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I'm still having trouble finding where I left off after I review a discussion - really liked old format that changed color of postings I read and took me back to where I left off. I also liked the ability to respond to a particular posting, rather than posting at the end.

On the other hand, I know that, along with all the time and effort you have put into this, you are also paying out-of-pocket yourself to have this site set up and improved. So I strongly believe that any further improvements should wait until (or if) you get enough donations from MFO subscribers to pay for any additional enhancements. I'm just forever grateful that you have taken on this immense task to keep this great Forum going. THANK YOU, DAVID!

• First of all, thanks David for all your efforts here. I am more than software illiterate. Actual software dumb is a better word for me. So, I did not anticipate the very significant changes to this discussion board. I may very well be in the minority here, but if MFO looked just like FundAlarm, I would have been more than happy. So, to give an opinion to your question, being able to 'reply to post' seems very important to me. In general, anything you do to give back the pluses FA had, even at the sake of reducing the bells and whistles, would be great - for me.

• i would love to have "reply to" button. don't rush guys. take your time to do it as safe as possible. but this seems almost as a most basic function which was available @ FA.
  • A "reply to" possibility is nice, but a) it won't capture the flavorful repartee of FundAlarm (for those wishing a rerun) and b) on vBulletin sites, most folks use it to reproduce the whole of even V-E-R-Y lengthy posts, of which they respond to only a small part. Takes up a lot of territory, and gets vaguely irritating after a time. (For example, how many times would you want to see *this* post reproduced in its entirety?)
    Anyhoo, I'm off to figure out where to put my spare change before April 15, now April 18.
  • I think the reply to addon will actually make things worse for people. Unless I misunderstand something, it will put new posts in the middle of threads (after the one being replied to) and at the end of the thread if you aren't replying to someone. People seem to be unhappy with not being able to easily find new posts or pick up where they left off in a thread. I don't see how this will help. You get the tree but then you will have new posts throughout the thread and no easy way to differentiate new and old.

I think a quote button would be a addition.
  • Reply to does not need to post in the middle. In fact, most non-threaded view representations put it at the end.

It could post at the end with a header in "In reply to post ... by ...." and which is a link and if you click on the link it would take you to original post if you like.
  • Like the others I deeply appreciate your enormous efforts in getting this site up and running. As the proprietor you have the right to set the direction. That's important because I see the question of RIP not so much a software question as a question of how "loose" you want the board to be. RIP would allow for more "contact" for lack of a better word - more butting of heads, more kidding around, more injection of personality and unfortunately, likely more spam. The flip-side is that faulty information or assumptions are more likely to be challenged. Re: the poll, I'd like to see RIP on this board.
  • edited November 2011
    reply to is working now.
  • Yes, I know it doesn't have to be and it depends on the set up.

However, I looked at the Vanilla addons and the ReplyTo addon makes a tree. Also since David said "Right now, your comment appears at the end of the list." it sounds like the addon will change that.
  • Yes, I'm ok with either way. In a non-threaded view (if this software could provide that kind of view as well as threaded) the posts would be linear and in order of posting...

This indented view is what people from FA is used to. They will like it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "I would like to have RTP with capability to quote post being replied to. This allows providing replies to the specific points in the original post. "

Hi Investor- I completely agree that it is redundant to keep reproducing the entire post for each and every reply. But we can easily cut and paste for a point-by-point response.

Regards- OJ
  • Don't let the haters bother you. There are advantages and disadvantages to the new site. We are all very grateful for all the hard work ya'll have put in.

Looking up posts by a specific person is a very cool feature. I probably won't use the inbox/messaging feature much, but it seems useful. Better than posting e-mail addresses in the message board.

I'm excited for the insta-magical ticker to fund name feature.
  • Everytime I hear the band Augustana, it reminds me of you, David!
  • 00BY,

"Don't let the haters bother you."

>>>>>HATERS ???

"There are advantages and disadvantages to the new site. We are all very grateful for all the hard work ya'll have put in."

>>>>>Yes, there are; and yes we do

Regards,
    catch
  • Catch,
    Just saying that posters who are saying we should revert back to the FA format should give it a chance for a little while first. I wasn't enamored with the FA format the first time I visited the site. And then it took some getting used to. Truth be told, I wasn't too sure about the MFO site at first either. But DS and team have been very receptive to comments and have been improving the site. So, my little quip really should have read something like this: Let's try to limit our feedback to constructive criticism only, because lots of hard work (for no financial gain) has been put in by the MFO team and they are continuing to try to make improvements (seemingly for the sole purpose of making us happy).
    All the best,
    BY
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Got my vote on that!