Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Search by individual poster?

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
Unless I'm missing something, it appears that there is currently no way to search for posts by an individual member. IMO, that's a major omission.

For example, searching for "BobC" returns a total of two hits, both from the "Buying Highbridge Dynamic ..." thread and both by Shostakovich (and, OBTW, it also fails to flag the post by Scott in the same thread which also names BobC (last word in the sentence), probably because it's treating the period as a wildcard and throwing it out). More importantly, IMO, it fails to flag any of the posts made by BobC.

Another example: "David_Snowball" returns a single hit: the dozen or so posts by David, including the thread he initiated on Andrew Foster, don't show up.

In the "wish list" thread, _bk mentioned one could click on a member's name then click on the "discussion" tab to view his or her posts. Unfortunately, it appears that that only works for discussions (threads) started by the poster: there IS no "discussion" tab on BobC's page (despite several invaluable contributions, e.g., his post in the "When do your fire your fund manager" thread), and David Snowball's responses in threads initiated by others (e.g., Walthausen, How do I support MFO, Unable to sign in with Firefox, etc.) do not appear in his discussion tab.

In the "Hints on Navigatin" thread, Accipiter mentioned finding discussions a member is involved in by clicking on "activity" then a member's name, however, that

Am I missing something? If not, I would renew my earlier request for the facility to search for posts by an individual member.

Comments