Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any clean energy funds (investing in companies like Tesla)

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
There is an ETF QCLN that invests in clean energy companies like Tesla.

But we can't buy ETF's. Are there any mutual fund companies like QCLN?
thanks
nath

Comments

• Dear nath: What do you mean "can't buy ETF". There's GAAEX +57.09YTD, & ALTEX + 75.15% YTD
    Regards,
    Ted

• our employer doesn't let us buy ETF's.
  • Thanks Ted. Both of the funds doesn't have TSLA.
    I was hoping to find a fund that has tesla. I have some play money 3K to play with. I thought I would invest and see.

thanks again
  • Reply to @bnath001: In my opinion, TSLA is a flop. Besides never buy any fund because of one stock.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Just my two cents but as Ted said, don't buy a fund because of one stock. If you have a strong feeling towards TSLA, buy the stock with personal money. I am also not a TSLA fan and as far as personal transportation goes I would look at companies that are developing autonomous driving. I think that is the bigger picture going forward.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @bnath001: ETGLX has a 2.5% position in TSLA. The fund holds a lot of biotechs and pharma.

Some alternative energy and green funds: ALTEX, GAAEX, CGAEX, PORTX, SPEGX, PGRNX
  • The closest funds you may fund to what you're looking for are not clean energy funds, but clean company funds (funds that invest in companies that are "green"). A couple that do hold TSLA are Alger Green (SPEGX) and Shelton Green Alpha (NEXTX).

As appealing as the idea of clean energy companies appears, and despite the recent (read: one year) performance has been for the companies Ted has given, don't go by theoretical appeal or short term performance of these Johnny-come-latelies. I've checked in with what may be the granddaddy of funds in this niche periodically over many years - the 30+ year old New Alternatives (NALFX) fund. Like the funds Ted suggested, it too remains a 1* fund.

Alternative energy production technologies continue to improve, and solar panels are being deployed to power things like traffic lights. Nevertheless, widespread adoption still seems to be about as far off as ever. Having watched this for decades, I can say that that's a long horizon. Unfortunately.