Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can You Help Me Understand Daily Changes in PRPFX?

edited July 2011 in Fund Discussions
I am happy with my allocation to this fund (PRPFX). But I frequently don't understand the daily changes. Yesterday, for example, Gold was up, Swiss Francs up and Treasuries up, but PRPFX down. Has happened enough that I am curious why the difference?

Comments

• Possibly due to the 30% or so in stocks. Not sure if silver was up yesterday, but that may have also contributed w/4.5% of the portfolio or so.
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks, Scott. I really appreciate all your very prompt and helpful responses.
  • Hi Kathy. For the heck of it, below is a portfolio from Seeking Alpha that supposedly duplicates Permanent Portfolio. It of course isn't exact, but you can see where the losses from yesterday (growth stocks, nat resources, silver, real estate) out weigh the gains from treasuries and gold. I think PRPFX was actually down more than this look-a-like portfolio, but probably because of stock selection.

Hope this data looks okay after I post comment:

Name tick %/portf 1 day return

Vanguard Growth Stock ETF VUG 15% -0.30%
    iShares S&P N Amer Nat Res IGE 10% -0.25%
    iShares Silver Trust SLV 5% -0.12%
    iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate IYR 5% -0.10%
    iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Tr Bond SHY 15% 0.01%
    CurrencyShares Swiss Franc Trust FXF 10% 0.01%
    iShares iBoxx Invest Gr Corp Bd LQD 5% 0.02%
    SPDR Gold Shares GLD 20% 0.18%
    iShares Barclays 20+ Year Tr Bd TLT 15% 0.22%

TOTAL RETURN -0.32%

P.S.: I actually have this in a M* portfolio so that I can watch the parts of this fund - one of my favorite funds.
  • Reply to @MikeM: Thanks so much, Mike, for taking the time to break this down - that was so nice of you!
    P.S. I still use your terrific Investment Comparison Excel sheet - love it! It has really helped me choose investments for my Portfolios - especially is my "competition" with the two of Mom'sTrusts my sister and I set up with the same amount for each (hers with USB, mine I invest myself). It makes some fun (and challenge) for me in investing, and I'll take all the fun I can get.
  • Mike,

Is it possible to email your investment comparision excel sheet (If you don't mind).

Thanks
    nath
    [email protected]
  • Mike,
    I would be most appreciative and grateful if you could also email your excel investment comparison sheet.
    Thanks
    Burt

[email protected]
  • Reply to @prinx:

prinx and bnath001: I sent you guys an email explaining the spreadsheet Cathy mentioned. Basically, it just calculates the "probable range" of returns you can expect from a portfolio using past return and standard deviation data.