Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell : Interesting Day

TedTed
edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Call it The 'Summers Bounce' , the Dow & S&P 500, well off their days high ,were still up, however; Apple dragged down the NASDAQ. Bonds were down.
Regards,
Ted
Indexes & Sector ETFs: http://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/pf_13/view/v2

Comments

• Treasury bonds were down, but most other bonds were up.

For example, MUB +0.34%, EMB +1.04% , HYG +0.55%
  • edited September 2013
    CORRECTION: DLFNX +.03 cents or 0.28%...... Double Line always reports late.

BONDS: DODIX + .02 cents, or 0.15%......... MAINX +.06 cents, or 0.59%....
    PREMX +.09 cents, or 0.72%.......FNMIX + .10 cents, or 0.64%...... BOND +.35 cents, or 0.34%.
  • Reply to @MOZART325: You are correct, I should have qualified it to Gov. Bonds
  • Ted and Mozart325............which bond sectors are down in price today?
  • edited September 2013
    bond sectors pricing list

We use this for pricing a large variety of bond types. Note: click "percent" to sort the list returns. Also sort by "volume"; as some of these issues trade very thinly and not every day. Volume selecting will give a better active listing for the more traditional bond sectors. I generally look at all areas with at least 100,000 in daily trading volume.

Appears long term stuff, inverse and bear etf's were the down sectors. Other traditional gov't fared okay.
  • edited September 2013
    There was a lot of back-tracking in bonds during the day. In early morning the 10 year was well under 2.8% (2.74% if I remember correctly). At its 2.88% close, it was just a tad under where it closed Friday (meaning up slightly in value). The way stock index futures were smoking overnight, I expected more upside than what we saw today. There's been some rumbling the FOMC will be talking tapering again Wednesday (if not actually announcing a start). So, guess we got a bit of a tug of war going on between the upbeat Summers news and concerns about Wednesday's FOMC announcement.

As many here will note, this short term stuff is just noise and ought not affect anybody's investment plans. But, it beats talking about the weather (especially the s*** that hit Colorado) and it looks like most of the MLB divisional races are pretty well settled.