Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Hmmm...did pigs start flying? This is really quite surprising, but I'm not holding my breath. It is only money that talks. Like institutional shares costing lower ER. You could say in a way performance based fees - Bridgeway takes it to the extreme - is a kind of bonus for those who are loyally holding on.

Also if I understand CEF have fixed shares. So it is not as if other CEFs are under pressure to emulate THIS CEF gathering more assets. They trade like stocks right? Each seller needs to have a buyer. Now if we are saying selling depresses CEF price and THAT is what the CEF is trying to guard against, then that would be a little extreme.

Charity is not in our DNA. Yes, we become billionaires some guilt maybe trickles in. I doubt the folks who run CEF are in charitable mood. Finally, fickle as investors are, I doubt they will stick to an underperforming CEF anymore than they stick with a stock. What is most difficult to comprehend is a CEF doing this. ETF, mutual fund it would be easier to understand that thought process behind it. I mean Gates/Microsoft didn't specifically reward their long term share holders like this right? CEF is like a stock, right?