Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Free Coursera course: Computational Investing

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
https://www.coursera.org/course/compinvesting1

It is an 8wk course starting on Aug 26.

Overview
Why do the prices of some companies’ stocks seem to move up and down together while others move separately? What does portfolio “diversification” really mean and how important is it? What should the price of a stock be? How can we discover and exploit the relationships between equity prices automatically? We’ll examine these questions, and others, from a computational point of view. You will learn many of the principles and algorithms hedge funds and investment professionals use to maximize return and reduce risk in equity portfolios.

This course is intended for folks who have a strong programming background, but who are new to finance and investing. Check out the two links below to see if the course is a good match.

Course options
You can enroll in the course in several ways:

Regular enrollment. In this track you are expected to watch the videos and complete the assignments.
Preview: You can watch the videos without enrolling. The videos will be available as they are published. Follow this link to preview the lectures: https://class.coursera.org/compinvesting1-002/lecture/preview
Signature track: This is a brand new option offered by Coursera. More information below.
Outcomes for regular and signature tracks
At the end of the course you will have created a working market simulator that you can use to test your own investing strategies. You will understand the basic principles of Modern Portfolio Theory and Active Portfolio Management.

Comments

• Investor, thank you for the notify.

Catch
  • Investor, you are saying videos will be available for FREE after course has run its course?
  • I don't know how long the videos will be available but at least during the course runs and probably some time after. You might be able to download videos in some courses.

The programming for this course will be in Python programming language. I am hoping that the lectures will make sense without actually programming.

If this does not interest you there are tons of other courses. There is one on Financial Markets from Bob Shiller coming up in February 2014.
  • Actually if you know any videos that explain what is stock/bond/mutual fund etc., I want to see if my current and extended family of all women can watch and learn. That worry is the only reason I'm bald, its not hereditary.
  • edited September 2013
    Hi VF,
    YouTube has many categories regarding investments. Not unlike its parent company Google; go to the YouTube home page and type in what you feel are the appropriate words for your search and check through the list. There is a mix of some video reports that are sponsored/placed by companies seeking you as a customer; but there are many videos of varying lengths that do very good work with explanations from the most simple to very complex, including some college courses that have been posted.
    Khan also has a very large list of all types of study, including a money/investment area. This organization was setup by one of the early employees of Google. He has placed his own money into the site for education.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • KhanAcademy it is. Looks Legit.
  • Reply to @catch22: My kid's class uses certain courses from Khan Academy to supplement their course work. From what I have seen they are quite good and effective.
  • Thanks Investor! Thanks Catch!