Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Fund Times 8/15/2013

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=607835

* Vanguard Explorer Gains a 7th Subadvisor
* Departing T. Rowe Price New Era Manager to Remain With Firm After All
* Edward Jones to Launch Affiliated Mutual Fund
* FPA Perennial Gains Comanager
* MFS Drafts Low-Volatility Fund
* BlackRock to Rename Dividend Fund
* Portfolio Manager Shifts on Goldman International Funds
* Nuveen to Liquidate 2 Small Tradewinds Funds
* Manning & Napier Readies Launch of Emerging Fund

Comments

• Did Manning and Napier go public fairly recently? The seem to be on a bit of a fund tear.
  • I wanted to ask about FPA Perennial and FPA Paramount. I don't think these funds have done great at all. But they seem to have an aura created behind them less by their erstwhile cousins, and more I feel by M*.

Has anyone bought either of these funds, especially now that they are no load?
  • Reply to @Shostakovich: i have long wondered if after Vanguard and TRP, if M&N are the real thing. Never been able to take the plunge. Now, my main question is WTF they don't call the fund M&N Mid Cap fund. Why confuse everyone this might be a Emerging Markets offering.

Me no like M&N any more.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: The fund is named "Manning & Napier Emerging Opportunities". Yes, it can be confusing... But I think they did not want to name the fund mid-cap as they expect the fund to drift around and don't want to create a mandate of being stuck to mid-cap only later.
  • edited August 2013
    I have a beginning position in Paramount. Paramount added to the manager team in 2011. One of the managers added oversees FPA International Value so I'm hoping his best ideas find their way into Paramount. I'm a fan of both global funds and mid cap funds. Thought that this low expense fund could be a winner as it gradually became a global/world stock fund. Since 2011 , it is up more than world stock benchmarks but trails USA mid cap 400 considerably. Only has 14% international, so they are taking their time getting to the global part . Morningstar is being generous in comparing Paramount to world stock and international indexes rather than USA Midcap 400 as well.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @MourningStars: In my experience, M* classification of funds is not always consistent and at times done to suits its own purposes/opinions.

Because of FPA pedigree, I'm keeping watch on these two funds. However I'm going to use my "When You Buy always more important than What You Buy" mantra. I DCA into funds I feel sure off. These funds I'm going to wait till Hussman gets it right and then buy.

Excellent Nick!
  • Reply to @Shostakovich: I'm thinking they went public about 2 years ago. I remember something about that in our local Rochester paper. They are Rochester NY based... at least they were.