Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Defensive" funds?

2»

Comments

• Reply to @Bitzer: lol, true that of the bogleheads. i dont dare to post there, in fact, this is the only message board i have posted on.

Ha, I supplement PCLDX with FSCHX. Debated between the two, but can't remember why I chose it over FSDPX
  • Reply to @bee:

Stephen Yacktman, Don’s son, has worked with him for 20 years, 10 of which he has been co-manager. Jason Subotky joined as co-manager in 2009, after 8 years with the firm. They are hiring a new analyst later this year as well. Don is in his early 70’s. However, each of the fund’s 3 managers signed 10 year employment contracts as part of their sale to Affiliated Managers Group in 3rd quarter of 2012.
  • Reply to @Hrux: Jason Subotky is officially co-manager as of 12/31/2009. The one day hardly qualifies as manager in 2009 but he has been there more than 3 years which is long enough as a co-manager.
  • WBLRX (Whitebox Long Short Equity Fund) is the only fund I own that can be positive on a really negative day for equities.

If you equate "non-correlated" with defensive, then that's a decent defense.