Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I don't think anyone real needs a commodity fund or sector fund. At least most people don't. I feel I'm properly hoodwinked into ARCNX with all its stated goals of managing volatility and drawdowns. I feel actually it has done worse than the market.

Maybe find active fund managers who are preferring commodities and buy. Needless to say you are rely on manager to get you out of commodities and into something else.

Whenever I have want to pull trigger on fund in my list, I see how my exposure is and then try select fund that is heavier in the sector I want to compensate against.

Finally, please note Frank Holmes runs US Global and has a lot of funds investing in commodities and emerging markets and therefore it is in his interests to talk up this sector. If you truly believe him then IMHO, you should just by HIS stock, GROW. After all, he does no invest in his funds buy buys GROW instead every month.

Just my 2 cs.
  • edited August 2013
    Talk about an ugly chart. Take a gander sometime at GROW over the past 10 years.

The link below shows Holmes purchase history, a few hundred here and there with total holdings of almost 132,000 shares. All in all, not all that large for a stock selling under $3. Please don't get me going on commodities, precious metals, and the like. That ship sailed in the 70s.

http://www.secform4.com/insider-trading/1251824.htm
  • Hmm...Holmes stopped buying. Interesting. I think he doesn't want to buy anymore until he pumps it up a bit more:).