Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews Funds

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
MAPIX has been good to me the past few years but unfortunately missed the closure by a few days in a 401k rollover @ Fido. Invested 3% in MACSX and 5% in SFGIX (combined with 5% each in OAKIX & FMIJX for total international exposure).

However, I noticed it's categorized as a "Pacific/Asia ex-Japan Stk" by M* and looking at the breakdown, it has 10% in Japan, compared to 20% and 40%+ for MAPIX & MPACX, respectively. While staying away from "The Lost Decade" positively contributed to the long-term success of MACSX, this has resulted in a significant drag on returns YTD.
Not trying to go performance chasing, but have learned to never underestimate the power of the printing press and believe Abenomics will heavily influence the Nikkei.

This particular portfolio can handle much more volatility than the other one which owns MAPIX, so I am thinking about either swapping the Asian Growth & Income for just the Growth, OR maybe just add a small 1% position in MJFOX (I am rather meticulous in managing this portfolio for my mother so take asset allocation very seriously, plus I just plain love this shit).

Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

Comments

• Dear Ton: I's hold off on investing in Asia, there are to many investment opportunities here in the USA
  • Unless I'm mistaken SFGIX was never intended as an pure Asia play. It is false notion because manager came from Matthews Asia fund that would be the case.

Expect this to be a diversified international fund over the long haul.

I own MAPIX and MACSX in my IRA, SFGIX in taxable.
  • Never said it was. It has exposure to the region and is in my portfolio so it's a factor in making a decision on which Matthews funds to own.
  • Well, man, I think you're on the right road. I own MACSX, MAPIX and the bond fund: MAINX. I'm sticking it out through thick and thicker. I'd just steer clear of country-specific funds. However, a 1% exposure won't ruin you. On the other hand, a 1% exposure isn't going to actually make you much money, either. I also own the more spread-out, global SFGIX.
  • Reply to @TonyGstring: Copy that. What I can't tell is at it moves more out of Asia, whether it will stay more an emerging markets fund or not.

I'm thinking Asia maps to Emerging Markets, always. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Japan is sort of considered out of Asia even if it is in the continent. Not sure if South Korea is "developed" or "Emerging".

So because of title of your subject am trying to understand if you are trying to manage your emerging market exposure or only Asia exposure, hence my confusion.
  • I own SFGIX/GICAX for a good foreign spread & MSMLX for the pure EM play (65%).

I like this spread a bit better than a single world stock, but then I'm into the mid/small value range since the rest of my port is in mid/large growth.
  • edited August 2013
    Hmmm...Sounds to me if someone is partial to Asia, them MSMLX is a good substitute for emerging small cap funds like those from Wasatch ad nauseum.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: I agree. MSMLX is riskier than my others, but still only "AVERAGE." I dunno if now would be a good time to buy it? I am not in a position to do it now. But I mean, USA small-caps are on fire, touching new highs all over the place. I'm not certain that ASIA'S small-caps are having the same banner year.

Example: MSCFX is up, according to Morningstar by 26.78%, ytd. And over the past year, it is up by 41.68%....... Compare with the Matthews small cap, MSMLX:
    YTD: +4.41% and 1-year, +21.49. Those latter two numbers are not shabby, either, but the domestic small-caps are on fire, at HISTORIC highs. Look at the Russell 2000. If bonds is the wrong place to be, it still makes sense to me NOT to buy US stuff at such a premium. I'm set to pull the trigger and buy shares in MAPOX, but I'm hating myself for it, when I consider the prospect. I wish a pull-back would happen soon, for one reason or another. And of course, it WILL come----- as soon as I send them the check. ;)
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: I think for me MACSX and MAPIX is as exotic as I want to get for Asia exposure. I don't buy any foreign/emerging bonds (not that I know anyway since I have been schooled in AQRNX and I dunno WTF it owns). I think MSMLX is just too hard core for me. You may have noticed I've even shirked away from Diversified Emerging Market fund like WAEMX. So I have SFGIX and will look at most to get extra emerging market exposure through other more diversified funds like WAGOX and the like.

I keep wondering who buy "Africa" funds.
  • edited August 2013
    Who buys "Africa" funds? That would be me--- after watching and tracking and biding my time for a long time, and acting against some very educated advice here in MFO. But my TRP TRAMX stake is just 3.07% of my total. It's done well over the past year, which is just how long I've owned it. In this case, I DID manage to "buy low." When will I sell? I'll watch it long-term, and wifey will get it all, someday.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Read the thread where you guys are discussing it. http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/comment/26273

Ha, it is indeed confusing when trying to label a country as "emerging" or "developING" and what criteria is used for it to make the jump. And due to its location we lump Japan with Asia, which like you said is usually associated with emerging markets, so does our ignorance make us racist? Been watching too many Seinfeld reruns during dinner:P

Trying to manage both exposures I guess. I do hope SFGIX becomes more of a true EM play or that the allocation is based on current value/opportunity, as a lot of the good funds in the category closed this year. Actually gonna buy GPROX soon as soon as a transfer gets processed.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: MAINX is a holding in this account, and own all four of those funds throughout portfolios. Waiting to buy MSCFX but the pullback in bonds didn't even phase it! Saw the other thread where you mentioned TBGVX, which I also own in a different, more conservative portfolio. Great minds think alike:)

Good advice, definitely not trying to get into such a specific category like countries.