Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for a health sciences fund recommendation.

BWG
edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
The TRP and Pru-Jennison funds are not available through my broker (Fidelity). I am not looking to invest immediately, but on a pullback. Looking for a fund that meets the following conditions:
1) Reasonably low asset base, that allows it to be nimble (particularly in getting in/out of biotech and acting on event-based possibilities).
2) Willingness to move outside big pharma/HMO type companies but not a pure biotech fund.
3) Fund can be an OEF or a CEF; not an ETF.

My default choice right is the Fidelity Select Health Care fund, but I am not enthused by it. I have benefited from exposure to the sector via POAGX.

Thanks in advance,

BWG

Comments

• Dear BWG: Here are some for you to consider from U.S. News.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/health
    M* Health Care Funds Returns: http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/health/$FOCA$SH.aspx
  • HQL/HQH.

• Reply to @scott: Fund is up over 40% YTD !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi BWG,

In Fidelity retirement accounts, I would take a look at DLHIX ($500 minimum +TF ) and ETIHX/ETNHX ($2500 minimum + TF/$2500 minimum, NTF). Although ETIHX is young, the manager has a good track record at ETILX.

Kevin
  • Reply to @Ted: True. Plus, both funds offer exposure to private equity healthcare opportunities, which I think is immensely appealing. They are also both trading at a premium after trading at a discount for a long period, so while one may want to wait for a pullback, I really do think that the fund is worth considering as a long-term position in healthcare. While the distribution is going to vary over time, in the meantime the funds also offer that.
  • KISS, use VHT
  • All..Thanks for your suggestions.

BWG
  • I sold my VGCHX earlier to book years of profits. Will wait very patiently for a correction before I buy it again. And of course I would be in gambling mood when I do.

I vowed to never buy sector funds again. I feel not necessary. You start with one, then you go with another and then another and then another. You find ways to justify you need one, because you want to overweight a sector (gambling 2.0) or you ANALyse your portfolio and find that you own less healthcare than the market / category averages instead of maybe simply owning index funds.

I can chose to use active managers because I am smart enough to be able to consistently find the 10-20% odd one's that actually manage to beat the market. However then if I'm going to start overweighting one sector vs another, then what am I paying my fund managers for? Don't I expect them to manage everything about my equity exposure?

Not my intention to digress. It is just that I think we are all suckers over managing our portfolio.