Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

June/Quarterly Allocation Funds Performance Review

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
Hello, I do this monthly report on the discuss forums on M*.com and thought it would be useful to some here who use allocation funds.

Market Recap

• Interest rates jumped after the fed announced the possibility of reducing their bond purchasing program (QE3) if the economy continues to improve. Most securities sensitive to interest rates (Bonds, Preferreds, Mortgage REITS, Utilities) took a decent size haircut.
  • SHIBOR? China experienced a liquidity crunch and their central bank drained reserves from the system. The b word (bubble) is getting thrown around a lot. China (FXI) was down -11% in June.
  • The S&P 500 (SPY) was down -2.38% in June and was positive for the quarter, up 2.80%. The Russell 2000 (IWM) was down -1.75% in June and was up 4.12% for the quarter. The S&P 600 (SLY) was down -1.07% for June and up 4.86% for the quarter.
  • The 20 year treasury (TLT) fell -3.78% in June and -6.72% in the second quarter.
  • Despite a major retracement in the Nikkei, Japanese equities (EWJ) were still able to manage a gain, up 4.78% in June and up 8.09% for the quarter.
  • Emerging market equities/bonds continued to sell off in June and for the quarter and there were some pretty severe moves. Brazil (EWZ) was down -18.73% for the quarter. Turkey (TUR) was down -17% for the quarter.
  • Gold (IAU) was down -12.55% in June and -22.89% for the quarter. Silver (SLV) was down -13.69% for June and -29.97% for the quarter. The worst quarter for gold in 45 years!
  • The dollar (UUP) strengthened and was up 0.49% in June and 0.18% for the quarter.

Monthly Leaders: PVSYX, VILLX, PRWCX, GRSPX, FPACX, DODBX, LKBAX
Monthly Laggards: ABRYX, PAUIX, PRPFX, TIBIX, IVAEX, LSWWX, PQIIX, JNBSX

Quarterly Leaders: PVSYX, VILLX, DODBX, FPACX, PRWCX, BERIX, LKBAX, VWELX
Quarterly Laggards: PRPFX, PAUIX, ABRYX, PGBAX, BRUFX, IVAEX, JNBSX, GLRIX

[Click to Enlarge]

** The data is as of 6/28/13 and the one month performance goes back to 5/28/13.

Comments:

Allocation funds that were light on bonds and international stock/bonds navigated through this recent sell off fairly well. Do any of you think it will be a continued trend? Or do you think it’s just a short term event from a knee jerk reaction to a rise in interest rates?

Is anybody adding to emerging markets/world allocation funds after the recent selloff?

I got some cash to work in June. Purchased SFGIX towards the end of the month and started a tiny position in GDXJ on the 26th. Both are a small part of my overall asset allocation.

Report Your BUYS, SELLS & WHY-- JUNE '13

Some Good Reads:

“We are not tightening”, says a tightening Fed – economist.com
China’s economy is freezing up. How freaked out should we be? – washingtonpost.com
Record $13B ETF Outflows In June 2013 - indexuniverse.com
Missed the big market rally? Here’s what to do now. – ritholtz.com
GMO’s Montier on Why to Hold Cash – advisorperspectives.com
Steve Romick: Trade Into The Gold You Can Eat, Farmland - Forbes.com
The Outlook for Equities - oaktreecapital.com
Why the Markets’ Latest Stumbles Are Good News – wsj.com

Comments

• Thanks! Very nice report.
  • Thanks man. My experience is that M* authors/editors generally seem to ignore comments posted. Do you find this to be case? The non-responsiveness has kinda turned me off to their board. That said, I always look forward to reading Bob Johnson's weekly reports. Class act.