Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good Harbor or F Squared TAA Funds?

edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
Just curious if anyone has done any due diligence on either of these TAA funds? They both have excellent long term track records with minimal draw downs. Fusion (Ritholtz) uses them for clients. In fact I am hard pressed to find a timing strategy that has performed any better than these two. Anyone using them?

Good Harbor US Tactical Core
http://www.goodharborfinancial.com/html/performance.html

F Squared Dynamic Alphasector
http://f-squaredinvestments.com/alphasector/alphasector-premium/

Comments

• Wow. This board is missing the boat big time on these funds!
  • edited June 2013
    Hi Heather,

One finds that GHUIX, GHUAX and GHUCX are all new mutual fund offerings. Other than what is listed (prior to being a mutual fund, I guess) at their web site for past performance; the current YTD, which is basically since fund inception, one finds a YTD of 7.1% at the M* link below. Regardless of whether M* has these funds in the proper category, the YTD is the important marker, eh? The 7.1% YTD places these funds in the middle of the pack.
    The non-starter for this house is the 5.75% load: and can't meet the $5 million minimum for the institutional class. Ouch!

M* Moderate Allocation funds Click the YTD icon to sort by %.

Thank you for bringing the fund house to our attention.

My 2 cents worth.
    Back to "fun with home ownership/remodel" at this house.
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • These are available via managed funds and have for quite some time. The mutual funds are just a new wrapper for them.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Heather,

You noted: "These are available via managed funds and have for quite some time."
    By managed funds, do you mean through an advisor or an institutional source?
    Our house has not had access to these funds.

I will presume you plan to use some of these fund choices, regardless of the 5.75% load, eh?; as noted in your opinion of their timing strategy and skills.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22:

Hi Catch,
    FYI. The managed account versions of these funds are available through TD and Schwab. I agree with you in that the loads are high and plan to invest in the institutional shares through the inst platform
  • I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what funds on the F-squared site you are talking about. Are you talking about the Virtus funds or are you pointing out the financial companies investment philosophy? I looked at the VADIX fund and I guess I don't see anything in that one that draws me in. Looks like a fund of funds with poor upside downside metrics versus the s&p, higher standard deviation to funds like FPACX and PAUIX and poorer returns. Which fund(s) are you talking about? What am I missing?
  • Reply to @MikeM:

I'm referring to their Alphasector premium managed account. There is a MF wrapper now but only a year or so old. The managed account has long track record.

http://f-squaredinvestments.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AlphaSector-Premium-Index-033120131.pdf