Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFLDX holding its own.

edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
Date: 5/31 gain $625 in portfolio
6/24 gain $590 in portfolio

Others I looked at, not so good. WAFMX $480 $160 , GASFX $321 $133 , MAINX (-27) (-189)
Note: Not apples to apples, but so it goes.
Have a nice day, Derf

Comments

• edited June 2013
    You too, hmmm? Don't have 5/31 numbers, as spreadsheet is updated almost daily, but here are current YTD numbers:

MFLDX: $1797
    WAFMX: $614
    GASFX: $985
    MAINX: -$140
  • edited June 2013
    MFLDX doing well and I have to say the Pimco L/S fund is holding up surprisingly well after it had a blah year last year.
  • I should buy a little - which would surely make it tumble.
  • edited June 2013
    Hank is banned from buying MFLDX.

(just kidding!)

This funds performance has been better than expected. Apparently they make use of their ability to short! Imagine.
  • edited June 2013
    If I didn't put the hex on it you have no worries.
  • Reply to @JoeNoEskimo: One of a dozen I watch - but the interest is purely academic. Rest easy (-:
  • I can't get interested in these specialty funds, expensive and need too own to much to make a difference. Good for the fund company, not ron.
  • Michael Aronstein has had a short on emerging markets for some time. It hurt him a bit last year, but has really helped in the recent selloff. Having something like MFLDX in the toolbox can be a prudent decision. A 5%-15% weighting, depending on the size of the portfolio and/or the number of alternative holdings, is a starting place.
  • Reply to @scott: I noticed the Pimco fund too and was really surprised ... sure looked like a dog early on. Might tiptoe in and see what happens.