Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IRL (closed-end fund: New Ireland.)

http://cef.morningstar.com/quote?t=IRL

IRL. I owned this guy a long time ago, before it was "new." I had to sell (and take just a little profit) when I didn't want to: divorce. As of Friday's close, it's carrying a -14.28% DISCOUNT to NAV. Any takers? Thoughts? Is the ER (2.66%) over the top, or is that (high) ER not unusual for such a CEF?

Comments

• Hi Max,

I think that most common investors, like you and me, do not need a country-specific fund. European funds -- like PRESX or MEURX -- would be fine and might be worth considering. In our own portfolio, we tend to own global funds -- like TIBIX, PQIIX, MSFAX and DGSCX -- to cover our foreign equity needs.

Kevin
  • Single country CEFs = easy way to lose a lot of money very quickly. May as well go to Las Vegas; at least you get some free alcohol and entertainment for your gambling money.
  • edited June 2013
    I just have so many things on my potential shopping list, I just can't see owning a single country ETF, much less one in Europe. I remain at least long-term bullish on EM. In terms of CEFs trading at a discount, I'd rather FEO at about a 11.5% discount. I'm just really looking for long-term holdings and if I'm looking at something as a long-term holding, I have to have some sort of positive thesis.
  • Gotcha, all. Appreciate the responses.