Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Conservative" portfolio down 2% today

edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
Got out of bond funds last month. Miss the old days when they made up for the stock fund losses and VWINX is not holding up like it used to do. MACSX, MAPIX and SFGIX hit bad today. One green spot: PVFIX up. 12%. How did they manage that?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    PVFIX probably hedged for tail risk with some "out of the money" SPX puts. Or maybe they had a short on gold, who knows. But the PM is notorious for his focus on preservation of capital.
  • Darned good question! If misery like company, we're down 2% also.
  • edited June 2013
    Hello,

I think it is fair to say the stock market got its fuel from the fed's, through their agents, and now that the fed's are saying ... hey, sometime in the not to distant future we are going to be withdrawing our fuel that we gave you to inject into the markets ... With this, stocks are going to have to establish their true value in the coming absence of this fuel.

I have provided a link to what is said about the plundge protection team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team#Plunge_Protection_Team

Perhaps after reading this ... a better understaning of what has been going on in the capital markets might be better understood.

In reviewing my portfolio today my bogey the Lipper Balanced Index was down 1.81%, I was down 1.87% while the widely followed S&P 500 Index was down 2.50%. A bond index fund that I follow was down 0.66%. So perhaps bonds might be soon finding a near term footing. I am thinking stocks will find their near term footing around the 1550 to 1575 range on the above referenced index. A lot of things could influnece this including margin calls and with this the market could pull back beyond this anticipated level.

I wish all "Good Investing."

Skeeter
  • I am down 2.08% today. On these Red Sea days, nothing is safe, especially now that the computers control most of the trades.
  • edited June 2013
    Correction: Down -3.3% today, and down -9% overall. (Gulp.) Matthews paid divs today, though. More to follow..... DO NOT PANIC, folks! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, either! The Great and Terrible Oz will get you back to Kansas, no problem. Got your ruby slippers? Got hot air in the magic balloon? Oh, no, we seem to have slipped our moorings....

As bad as this is, it's not the '08-'09 Crash for which none of the criminal shit-heads responsible have gone to jail..... Ride the coattails of the Robber Barons. It's the only game in town. And with government in bed with the Robber Barons, this too shall pass....