Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can Bernanke Avoid a Meltdown in the Bond Market?

beebee
edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
Bloomberg article by Jim O'Neil:

"The past few weeks have given us a hint of what might happen when the Federal Reserve starts to reverse its super-easy monetary policy. Expect turbulence in financial markets, especially for assets that have moved far above normal or reasonable valuations.

A return to normality eventually implies a benchmark 10-year Treasury yield of 4 percent or more. It won’t happen all at once, but that’s where we’re heading. With yields at roughly 2.2 percent, there’s a long way to go. This transition will mark a recovery of the equity culture and the cooling of investors’ protracted love affair with bonds. "

can-bernanke-avoid-a-meltdown-in-the-bond-market

Comments

• Thanks Bee. I certainly hope so, just seems hard to avoid inevitable. Maybe baby steps? Like Marx and Engels...one generation at a time=).
  • I think he'll just leave and take some easy professorship somewhere before the jello strikes the blades.
  • Reply to @hank: Not sure what might be worse- Bernanke stays and at some point starts the 12-step program to wean the US off of the drugs; or, Bernanke goes, and who knows what the hell happens then? All very well to say Yellin will be OK, but I seriously can't see Yellin getting through Senate confirmation. What then??
  • edited June 2013
    Hey OJ - You nailed it. There will be bloodletting. Brings to mind John McCain's remark in support of Greenspan a decade ago:

"If he's alive or dead it doesn't matter. If he's dead, just prop him up and put some dark glasses on him like, like 'Weekend at Bernie's.' "

BTW - I'd guess Geithner, as he seems to have friends on both sides - but the opposition will be hot. Larry Summers would like it too - but has ruffled too many feathers (though more than qualified). Really will depend on where the country is politically at the time.