Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone have a favorite Midcap Growth Fund?

beebee
edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
I like both the long and short term performance of this asset class...RPMGX, ARTMX, ABMIX, IIMOX and BUFMX are some examples of good long term performers. Would like to hear from you if you have a favorite in the asset class.

Comments

• POAGX
  • I would take a look at IJK and MDY among ETFs, and AKRIX/AKREX (MCG/LCG) and PRNHX (SCG/MCG) among mutual funds. I agree with BWG that POAGX is attractive among multi-cap growth funds.

Kevin
  • BWG
    edited June 2013
    Reply to @kevindow: I should have noted earlier that POAGX is more of a multicap growth fund than a pure midcap growth fund (though M* lists it as midcap growth). I will also pay close attention to the new fund SEEDX -- John Park did a great job reducing downside capture at ACTWX (a midcap growth fund), though SEEDX seems more large cap oriented.

BWG
  • edited June 2013
    Hi bee,

In my small-midcap area I look for a fund that fills out the style boxes in areas beside just one style area. One fund that catches my eye that does this is KSMVX, Keely Small-Mid Cap Value.

I have linked its Morningstar report below.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=ksmvx&region=USA

In addition, the funds that I hold in the small-mid cap sleeve of the growth area of my portfolio are as follows: IIVAX, PMDAX, KSDVX and PCVAX. Yes, three of the four are dividend oriented and combined they provide good style box coverage in the small and mid cap areas with some representation appearing in the large cap area too. Plus they put a little change in my procket, from time-to-time, with a history of distributions.

In the large-mid cap sleeve of the growth area of my portfolio I hold three funds that have good style box coverage beyond their large cap positions. They are HWAAX, VADAX and SPECX which can go short, at times. Other large cap funds held in this sleeve are AGTHX and IACLX.

I wish all ... "Good Investing."

Skeeter

• We have used Artisan ARTMX and Ivy IYMIX for quite a long time, and they have been good to us. They have modest turnover ratios, reasonable expenses, and experienced and smart managers. ARTMX is more of a team management, but Andy Stephens has been at the helm since the fund started in 1997. And Ivy's Kim Scott has been running the fund since 2001. Both funds give their managers some leeway in what they own. As you know, we do not care much about style boxes. We want to hire great managers first, then screen to find a mix that offer a broad diversification. The last thing we want is to own 9 domestic stock funds just to fill out the grid that M* invented years ago. So a lot of our managers will tell you they are not style-box bound, and that is good.
  • I definitely think that some mid-cap ETF's are worth having. We use IJJ, but others are also good.
  • edited June 2013
    I like ACRNX for a GARP fund

it's not as available on all platforms. but they do have some other share classes also
  • msf
    edited June 2013
    Any thoughts on Meridian Growth MERDX, once Meade and Schaub (last seen at Janus Triton JGMAX JGMCX JANIX JSMGX JGMNX JGMRX JGMIX JATTX ) take over the lead management duties?