Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Much Will 'Floating Rate' Funds Really Float?

edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
But about two years ago, bank loans began to include "Libor floors," or minimum levels at which their income payments begin ratcheting upward if interest rates rise. According to Robert Polenberg of Standard & Poor's Leveraged Commentary & Data, 40% of existing bank loans have Libor floors, with the level averaging 1.59%. Virtually 100% of newly issued loans, says Mr. Polenberg, include them.

David Allison of Allison Investment Management in Columbia, S.C., points out that charts of past performance showing these funds performing well when rates went up are based on periods before Libor floors were common.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304453304576391900432920670.html#printMode

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Howdy Pat,

Thank you for your time with this and the posting.
    I continue to look at LIBOR on a casual basis of once a week; and I also watch Euribor, too.
    Since the large intervention of Federal monies after the market melt, LIBOR has remained in a very tight range.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Interesting. To see possible impact, I suggest researching ARM (Adjustable Rate Mtg) funds - these were big in the 90s, and most fizzled. They floated, but slowly - since ARMs typically adjust annually, and even when they adjust, many have caps on how much the rate can change in a single adjustment.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-02-02/business/1992033087_1_adjustable-rate-adjustable-rate-funds
    (1992 article talking about the adjustment lag)

http://articles.sfgate.com/1995-03-20/business/17800348_1_government-fund-mutual-fund-fund-s-assets
    (1995 article about T. Rowe Price changing the mandate of its ARM fund, and giving ARM market returns for 1992-1994 - the last year being 0.01%)
  • Holding Fidelity Floating Rate FFHRX. I'd anticipated the launching of several investment grade floating ETFs to up the credit quality of dealing with interest rate risk. Turns out their yield is under 1% so passed on them. Instead reallocated to some market neutral/long short/absolute return income funds from Doubleline, Rivernorth and Loomis. Pretty stable valuations so far, their performance in a rising interest rate environment remains to be seen. In a yield hungry world it's hard to see interest rates going much if any lower while having ample room to rise. And rise.
    So repositioned bond holdings accordingly earlier in the year including Fidelity's shortest term munifund when they sold off. Count me a head-scratching bond bear
    with 70% of assets decidedly not stocks and now decidely not exactly bonds either.
    Someone has to be targeted to pay for this mess and is, with low risk yields around zero dot zero.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Damn straight on that one, Maurice!
  • I've read recently that recent issues of Floating Rate/Bank Loan notes/bonds etc. have worse covenants (i.e. more favorable to the issuer) than the earlier ones. In other words, the investor protections also eased a bit.