Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Ariel Discovery (ARDFX).

"Gem."

Uhhh ... you know, I'm driving this used white 2010 Corolla these days. Really a nice little car. Economical (my style), reliable (ditto), comfortable. Will's willing to be seen riding it, though that might change after he turns 13 next month. But I don't really see many heads turning as we drive by and the number of folks thinking "gosh, I wish I had a used Corolla" seems modest.

So far, ARDFX seems more Corolla than sapphire.

David
  • I agree, ARDFX looks decent but it certainly is not a gem.

In the microcap space, the leader of the pack continues to be AUMIX, despite its pricey 2.0% net ER. According to a test trade I just made, this fund appears to be available in TDAmeritrade retirement accounts for no minimum plus a TF.

The next best fund among microcap funds that I track is WEIMX which has a much lower ER of 1.22% and more attractive trailing risk parameters. Over the past 3- and 5-year periods, WEIMX has had consistently lower standard deviations, higher sharpe ratios and higher Sortino ratios than AUMIX. WEIMX is available for a low minimum of $250 plus a TF in Scottrade retirement accounts according to their web site. WEIMX would definitely be my pick in the microcap space.

Kevin
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @kevindow: I purchased AUMIX and AMCIX in my non-taxable account some time ago for no minimum at TDA. Unfortunately, neither fund compares to my BRUSX which I received from the BRMCX/BRUSX reorganization.
  • beebee
    edited June 2013
    Buffalo Micro Cap, BUFOX, might be worth considering. ER of 1.51. Seems to concentrate in the Technology micro cap space (60% Tech Stocks) where WEIMX is more consumer cyclicals and Industrials. AUMIX has a Healthcare focus. BRUSX is the most balance as far as sector weighting goes. Manager bets with respect to sector focus may play a big part in performance.

Here it is compared to ARDFX, AUMIX, BRUSX, and WEIMX over the last three years: